fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudleybrewer

Reaction score
This is my first time home brewing. My basement is a chilly 63 degrees and my brew kit instructs me to keep my fermentation bucket between 68 an 72 degrees. Is 63 too cold?? I am seeing bubbling action after 24 hours. about 1 bubble every 3 seconds.

63F is fine...right now the brew is generating some heat anyway. 20 BPM is sign of a healthy fermentation in progress.

Welcome to the forums, and happy brewing. :)

Agreed. your ok. It's just going to take a wee bit longer. You are better to be on the lower scale than the higher scale of optimum ferm temps. Shoot for lower temps in summer as well but you have to be a bit more creative to get there.

Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks. Not worried, think I'll have a New Glarus Native Ale to calm my nerves anyways.

dudleybrewer said:
Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks. Not worried, think I'll have a New Glarus Native Ale to calm my nerves anyways.

New Glarus!! Mmmmmmmmmm! I love their Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel and Uff Da brews!!!

Back