Beer in Philly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daksin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, it's another one of those threads. I'm going to be in Philadelphia on business for a week and would like to know where the best beer bars, restaurants, and bottle shops are. I'll be staying near Logan Square and won't have a car, so walking distance only please. Also- remind me of PA's crazy alcohol laws again.

Thanks!

Was going to recommend you find somewhere that carries Pliny as Philly is the only place you can get it on the east coast. Then I saw where you live.

You probably pour Pliny on your breakfast everyday as it's more available than milk.

Nodding Head, on Sansom between 15th and 16th, has good food and great beer. And they do a killer brunch (with some interesting Bloody Marys!) if you are so inclined. The breakfast burger is amazing.

Was going to recommend you find somewhere that carries Pliny as Philly is the only place you can get it on the east coast. Then I saw where you live.

You probably pour Pliny on your breakfast everyday as it's more available than milk.

Ha, well, it's tough to find at bottle shops, but most every bar I frequent does have it on tap year-round. Good stuff, that.

Nodding Head, on Sansom between 15th and 16th, has good food and great beer. And they do a killer brunch (with some interesting Bloody Marys!) if you are so inclined. The breakfast burger is amazing.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

If you go to Nodding Head, you'd be doing yourself a disservice not going to Monk's Cafe. Also, if you like good-beer-bar-meets-mexican-food, Jose Pistolas is just around the corner.

If you want to bring me some Alpine beer or a burger from O'Brians as a thank you, I completely understand. :p

+ 1 on going to Fairmount. Belgian Cafe is owned by the same people as monks and i prefer it over monks. Kite and key is also a great spot.

I was never a fan of Nodding Head. Their menu has some sort of statement about how they don't refund for bad tasting beer because it must be that you have bad taste. I understand not refunding beer but the statement annoyed me (at the time they had a beer that tasted like melted jolly ranchers).

Philly has some stellar Mexican food!

I was never a fan of Nodding Head

Me to. I would not put on a list of places that someone from out of town to go visit. Average at best.

Forgot about Belgian Cafe, good call. I rarely go to the other side of the parkway.

Here is my best Philly recommendation:

Phillytapfinder.com

Follow the good beer. Taplists updated daily. All of the bars on there are decent.

My personal favorites are tria, local 44, varga, good dog (for the burger), Jose pistolas, resurrection ale house, pub and kitchen, pope, south Philly tap room.

Enjoy Philly! It is a great beer town. The people, eh, can be rude. Don't hold it against us!

Monks is great. I'm also a fan of devil's den, south Philly tap room, and pub on passyunk east. My favorite place for food and a brew is good dog.

Hey. Enjoy your trip to Philly.

Tell us where you went. There were several good suggestions in this thread.

Back