first time using Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
ok guys, I was out of Star san and I have a big quart jug in the mail coming soon, but I was in need of bottling today so I ran down to my LHBS and grabbed a tiny 4 oz bottle of Iodophor on the cheap....

I used the recommended 1 tsp per 1.5 gallons of water to mix up a gallon and a half of iodophor for bottling and making a starter for my next brew...

It was a light yellow color kinda like a faint tint of watered down iced tea or watered down budweiser.... I've heard that as long as the color doesn't fade you're gtg....however by the end of the bottling phase (about 45 minutes later or so) the water was only VERY faintly colored any more.... am I gonna be ok with it being that colorless or did I risk infection by not "topping off" with more iodophor to retain that pee color in the water (I didn't think that 45 minutes would be enough to cause it to lose it's sanitizing properties but never hurts to ask)

You should be fine, as long as color was left over it has sanitizing properties. Been using iodophor for over a year and never had a problem.

Edit: iodophor only needs a 3 minute contact time. As long as the bottles were soaked for 3 minutes your good. I soak mine then let them hang on a bottle tree to dry then bottle.

You should be fine, as long as color was left over it has sanitizing properties. Been using iodophor for over a year and never had a problem.

Edit: iodophor only needs a 3 minute contact time. As long as the bottles were soaked for 3 minutes your good. I soak mine then let them hang on a bottle tree to dry then bottle.

yeah, I soak the bottles (I use bombers) just long enough to fill it half way, shake the bottles around to get it coated and then drain them out, sit them in a row .... then start using my bottling wand after a minute or so of waiting.

I was just surprised to see it nearly colorless in less than 45 minutes..

Back