Dark, Hoppy, and Low in Alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmcmaster007

Reaction score
So my Brother-in-Law asked me for a commercial example of a beer that was dark, hoppy, and low in alcohol. This is not the type of beer I would normally seek out. I like dark, I like hoppy, and I like alcohol, just not all together. I'm sure I could homebrew an example that meets these criteria, but that is not what he is after. Anyone know of a commercial example of a beer that meets these criteria? Thanks in advance.

Two examples that are dark and hoppy come to mind. One is low alcohol and one is not.

Dusseldorf Alt's are semi dark (about the color of a brown ale). They are typically hopped with noble hops to the 35-45 IBU range. Malts used are german pils, dark munich, caramunich, and just a tiny splash of roasted barley and chocolate. I have a good recipe if you want it. Mine came in at 1.048, so it was your standard 5-5.5% beer. You need an ale yeast that is very clean. I used Kolsch yeast at 58F ferment temps.

The second is Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ales. They are darker and hoppier than an Alt, but they are certainly into the medium to med high alcohol content as well. It's on my list, haven't brewed one yet.

Depending on your definition of dark I would say that Stone Levitation fits the bill quite well. It's a darkish amber, but by no means a stout, porter, or even a brown. If your in-law is used to BMC then yes this would work.

Back