Start with a free chest freezer, then ? $$$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davepeds

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Just wondering...
I'm trying to compare expected prices of newish equipment to some used stuff. There's lots of cheap chest freezers on the market. If I started there and wanted to have about 4 taps going, how much money am I looking at in the regulator, the taps - all but the kegs.

Because...there are also used kegerators/keezers on the market. I feel for the folks that built them, because I'm sure it wore them out and cost a lot of time and money. But, since I'm shopping, how do I know if I'm paying more money for their time/labor than I would value my own? Or, what should I expect to pay in supplies if I did it myself?
DOB

It all depends on what you decide to use. If u wanted chrome Faucets and shanks, you can get them fairly inexpensively. If you wanted all SS Perlicks, you are looking at quite a bit more money. If you're looking on CL for a "free" freezer, also look for used CO2 tanks and regulators. You could get a bargain.

I went with 4 SS Perlick faucets, 4 SS shanks, a dual-body regulator, 5 kegs, 10# CO2 tank, and am around $450, not counting the price of the freezer. I could have done it for cheaper, but I won't have to replace anything for a very long time.

Hi

Are you going with a tower or a collar? Both cost money. DIY towers aren't to bad. The metal kind get a bit pricey.

Bob

OK,

I did this exact same set up just a few months ago. Things I learned the hard way.

1) Take your time. Shop everywhere. No rush. This equipment is going to last years!
2) Buy everything at once or keep a detailed list of what you've got. Size of the fittings, size of the hoses, etc. Keep everything uniform.
3) Don't trust your LHBS to take care of you. You take care of You.
4) I saved $100 by using the vendors online................ suggested here on HBT. I got better equipment at a cheaper price.
5) A mix of new & used is the best bang for the buck. Craigslist is your friend. I picked up a nice freezer for 1/5 the cost of a new one.
6) Once you keg, you'll rarely bottle again. I have about 100 bottles collecting dust. Everybody wants my home brew, but I refuse to bottle anymore. They must come over. It's a great excuse to entertain.
7) The 1 item most costly was the White Oak I used to make the collar. It is beautiful. People have commented on how nice it is. It is the 1 item I'm glad I didn't scrimp.

Once it's all done and you can concentrate on your beer, you'll be much more relaxed and be so happy you started this hobby. I pass the beer freezer at the grocery store & just scoff now!

Everything except possibly the collar is easy to transfer if your freezer dies. I went with a $75 refrigerator from local second hand store. Holds 5 cornies and I have 3 taps in the door.
When it dies I'll pick up another. Three holes drilled in the door and I'm good to go.

Back