Light Fruit Weisenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this will be any good, some experienced wheat brewer feedback would be apreciated.

I don't have a big enough pot to do all grain brewing right now(without it taking pretty much all day to do), so have to settle for mixed extract/grain brewing.

6lb LME
7lb Flaked Wheat
1 oz Hallertauer 60m
1 oz Hallertauer 15m
A slight touch of fresh raspberry not sure exactly how much to use

Est OG 1.066
Est FG 1.014
Est IBU 14.5
Est ABV 6.8%

I'll be carbonating it a little extra, and bottling in wine bottles. I'm thinking it will be a good summer festivity drink. It's lighter than most weisenbocks, stronger than most your fruity beers, not as bitter as weisenbock, leaving room for the raspberry flavor.

What do you think?

The concept sounds good.

Why not use wheat LME ? It's 60% wheat and 40% two row.

If you are shooting for light raspberry you could use two pounds. Some people use one pound per gallon.

That might make more sense for me. I wasn't looking forward to mashing 7lbs of wheat. What do you think about all extract brews?

I brew with extract. I'm pleased with the results. All grain offers more possibilities, but there are plenty of good tasting beers that can be made with extract.

You should steep some grains, though. Maybe some honey malt and something else? Wheat LME is sort of bland alone.

Flaked wheat will not convert itself in the mash. You'll need some base grains to convert the starch to sugar.

Back