American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked this in my thread but I like this type of brew, would I still use the same amount of ingredients in a 2.5 gal batch?

And the hops was that during boil?

This sounds great. I have yet to do an AG recipe, because i lack the equipment an the funds, but been looking for a recipe for my first BIAB, what changes do you think I would need to do in the process.

I asked this in my thread but I like this type of brew, would I still use the same amount of ingredients in a 2.5 gal batch?

And the hops was that during boil?

For a 2.5gal batch, you would use half of all the ingredients.

As for the Hops, yes, you add those in the boil. The first addition (60 minute) goes in right when the boil starts (you then start your countdown timer). The second hop addition goes in once the timer reaches 30 minutes left in the boil.

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions. :mug:

This sounds great. I have yet to do an AG recipe, because i lack the equipment an the funds, but been looking for a recipe for my first BIAB, what changes do you think I would need to do in the process.

Thank you. It is a really tasty brew that alot of people (even non craft brew drinkers) enjoy.

For BIAB, not too much will change. You can omit the Rice Hulls as they are only there to help with lautering. Other than that everything else will be the same.

Let us know how it goes if you give it a shot. I also have an extract version on this posted on the first page if you're interested in that.

Busted one of these open last night after a week in bottles. Early I know, but it was delicious. The cascade hops combined with the extra orange zest is really prevalent. Very good aroma and nice citrus flavor. Happy.

Busted one of these open last night after a week in bottles. Early I know, but it was delicious. The cascade hops combined with the extra orange zest is really prevalent. Very good aroma and nice citrus flavor. Happy.

Sounds great! Glad it turned out to your liking. I have tried it once with a late addition of hops and I really couldn't taste much of the orange, but then again IIRC you added more zest than I did. My latest batch came out fantastic as well, bout to go grab one actually. :mug:

Us 05 ale yeast ? Although this contains wheat it would be an ale then not a weissbier

Just added my second addition of hopps. My buddy wanted to get into brewing this was the recipe he picked. Thanks!

Just added my second addition of hopps. My buddy wanted to get into brewing this was the recipe he picked. Thanks!

Nice! I wish I could be brewing today too....been a great day (even record high temps) for brewing. Ah well keeping my fingers crossed for Sunday. Gonna be brewing then for sure.

Let us know how it turned out and how your friend enjoyed brewing! :mug:

In the fermentor now. How long have you guys been keeping this beer in primary? Since it's on US-05, not sure if I should do a typical 4 week primary (sans secondary) or keg it after fermentation stops. I just now re-read the recipe and see that is calls for 14 days in primary. I've never kegged a beer that young, so this will be a new experiment for me. :)

In the fermentor now. How long have you guys been keeping this beer in primary? Since it's on US-05, not sure if I should do a typical 4 week primary (sans secondary) or keg it after fermentation stops. I just now re-read the recipe and see that is calls for 14 days in primary. I've never kegged a beer that young, so this will be a new experiment for me. :)

Unless I am being super lazy, I get this beer off the yeast and into the keg after 14 days. I've left it in the primary for as long as 5 weeks one time and didn't notice any difference in taste.

Just made this yesterday. Smells glorious.

Only changes i made was using some leftover Sorachi Ace for the 30 min hop addition and using Denny's favorite.

I also somehow hit 91% efficiency with BIAB. Weird.

Jay, let's trade beers to get an idea of each other's attempt at this.

How in the world is your efficiency so high? Are you sparging the bag or something?

Jay, let's trade beers to get an idea of each other's attempt at this.

How in the world is your efficiency so high? Are you sparging the bag or something?

Hey I'd be interested in swapping with you guys too. I bottled a few off my keg a couple days ago and would really like to see how yours came out.

I tried a sneak peek tonight. It's nowhere near carbonated after 3 days on gas, but that's no surprise since I use the set it and forget it method. It's very light in color, but the wheat lets the flavor seem to carry through despite the light color and body. I think I'm going to like this beer and could see it being good on a really hot day!

I didn't get near the orange color as seen in the OP's picture. My daughter said it looks like apple juice. I'll give this one another week on the gas and let you guys know how it changes with carbonation.

I tried a sneak peek tonight. It's nowhere near carbonated after 3 days on gas, but that's no surprise since I use the set it and forget it method. It's very light in color, but the wheat lets the flavor seem to carry through despite the light color and body. I think I'm going to like this beer and could see it being good on a really hot day!

I didn't get near the orange color as seen in the OP's picture. My daughter said it looks like apple juice. I'll give this one another week on the gas and let you guys know how it changes with carbonation.

What's the verdict? :mug:

I am going to make this tomorrow with a few modifications.

I am going to use Hallertauer and Citra for hops and am going to add Coriander.

Sounds good. Are you going to replace the late addition of Hallertauer with the Cirta or are you going to up the IBU's and add them both?

What's the verdict? :mug:

I like it! I usually hate wheat beers because they are determined to use Belgian yeast. The us-05 does a nice job with this. It's definitely a refreshing beer. My wife likes it too and I was able to get a dedicated Coors light drinker to go back after it several times over.

The next time I brew it, I'm going to double the orange rind to get more of that flavor. It has more or less faded completely at this point.

Thanks for the recipe! Glad I brewed this one. Finally something my non-IPA drinking friends will enjoy!

I like it! I usually hate wheat beers because they are determined to use Belgian yeast. The us-05 does a nice job with this. It's definitely a refreshing beer. My wife likes it too and I was able to get a dedicated Coors light drinker to go back after it several times over.

The next time I brew it, I'm going to double the orange rind to get more of that flavor. It has more or less faded completely at this point.

Thanks for the recipe! Glad I brewed this one. Finally something my non-IPA drinking friends will enjoy!

I agree the US-05 does a good job in this beer. Although I enjoy some Belgians, I wanted this one to be a refresher that everyone can drink. I think the clean yeast profile helps that out alot.

I have been experimenting with orange zest additions and now I go with 2-2.25oz. You're right with 1.5oz orange flavor fades over time. I changed the recipe on the front page to reflect this as well. When I first posted the recipe, I never had a keg last more than a week, so I didn't know the orange flavor would fade out that much :p

Thanks for giving it a shot and glad you are enjoying it. Cheers!

Newbeerguy said:
Sounds good. Are you going to replace the late addition of Hallertauer with the Cirta or are you going to up the IBU's and add them both?

I replaced the 30 minute addition with Citra. And since i bought a 1 oz package, i threw the second 0.5oz in at 5 min with the zest. This is when i also threw in 0.25oz coriander. Bubbling away right now!

Here's the color I get from this beer. The picture looks darker than reality. I think it's much lighter than intended, but it's nice. Yes, I know, adding the orange in the beer is stupid, etc. Bite me. :tank:

EvilJay, if you want some, you better hurry up. My picky beer friends (i.e. Bud Light Light Lime or Sam Summer) even like this one.

photo.jpg

Here's the color I get from this beer. The picture looks darker than reality. I think it's much lighter than intended, but it's nice. Yes, I know, adding the orange in the beer is stupid, etc. Bite me. :tank:

EvilJay, if you want some, you better hurry up. My picky beer friends (i.e. Bud Light Light Lime or Sam Summer) even like this one.

Looking good!

eviljay said:
Mine is almost ready to bottle! As soon as it is we'll swap a bottle.

Well mine is in a keg so I can either try to bottle it or just put some in a growler. I don't have a contraption to bottle effectively from the keg.

Brewing this up tomorrow (1-gallon all grain)...Looking forward to it. Got my grains and yeast tonight. Grabbing a few oranges tomorrow.

Back