Did my first full boil today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
And it was awesome...next up, all grain.

recipe: American Pale Ale

3.3 lbs light LME @ 60 min boil
3.3 lbs light LME @ 40 min
1lb Carmel crystal 20L (steeped for 20 min in 2.5 gallons)
Added water to get to 6 gallons
Boil
.75 oz Amarillo @ 60min
.75 oz Amarillo @ 5min
.75 oz Amarillo @ flame out

Used muslin bags for hops and will do it this way from now on, worked great!!

33.8 IBU's
OG was 1.052
Bolied 6 gallons ended up with 5.25 in BK, put 5 gallons into carboy. Pitched nottingham at 62 degrees. Now time for a brew and go to bed, today was a good day....

First recipe from scratch, hopefully shes a good one...

And it was awesome...next up, all grain.

recipe: American Pale Ale

3.3 lbs light LME @ 60 min boil
3.3 lbs light LME @ 40 min
1lb Carmel crystal 20L (steeped for 20 min in 2.5 gallons)
Added water to get to 6 gallons
Boil
.75 oz Amarillo @ 60min
.75 oz Amarillo @ 5min
.75 oz Amarillo @ flame out

Used muslin bags for hops and will do it this way from now on, worked great!!

33.8 IBU's
OG was 1.052
Bolied 6 gallons ended up with 5.25 in BK, put 5 gallons into carboy. Pitched nottingham at 62 degrees. Now time for a brew and go to bed, today was a good day....

First recipe from scratch, hopefully shes a good one...

Looks good to me. I'd drink that as long as you don't get an infection (proper sanitation) and let it have time to ferment out (2 to 4 weeks in fermenter). Give it some time to mature too.

Question on a full boil I steeped my grains in the full 6 gl. After reading this should I steep in 2.5 gl then add after the 20 min steeping of grains. Why if that is the case.thanks

Brewed a Sam Adfams clone that way Sunday.

I always steeped my full boil extract in the full boil amount....But it's probably just a convenience issue with heating and holding 2.5 gallons of water vs 6 gallons of water.

I always steeped my full boil extract in the full boil amount....But it's probably just a convenience issue with heating and holding 2.5 gallons of water vs 6 gallons of water.

Yup, it was easier for me to heat up 2.5 gallons rather than 6 and keep it steady...

Back