Keggle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccumath

Reaction score
Okay guys, so I have a line on a keg to make into a boil kettle, but there is one little hang up - it has been filled with sand for weight. Now, kegs are very hard to come by in this area, so I need to know whether this will have any negative impacts on the keg. He is selling it for $35. Unfortunately I cant see in the keg due to the valve that was replaced after it was filled with sand... What issues could I have (I am thinking bacteria, scratches on the inside of the keg; I dont imagine it is high quality, super fine sand...)?

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Ryan

Do you have any pics? Is this a standard, straight-sided sanke keg?

If its just filled with sand, you should be OK. I would assume if the outside looks to be in good shape, the inside can't be any worse.

I wouldn't be too worried, shouldn't be too hard to get the sand out - remove the spear, turn upside down and flush with water is what I would do. The sand shouldn't scratch the SS much and don't worry about bacteria/bugs as a quick clean and boiling some water would get rid of those. As long as it is not too beat up I would go for it. Try get the seller to remove the sand (or let you do it at their place) because lugging around a sand filled sanke is not going to be good for you back ;)

Sounds good. Will talk to this guy again, and go check it out make sure the rest of it is in good shape.

Back