Taller container to use w/ Phil's Sparger/Sprinkler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Invariably I tend to make bigger beers, and every time I go to use my Phil's Sparger sprinkler assembly I find that I can't because the grain sits too high in the container - the sprinkler arms bottom-out against the grain. I end up having to do low-tech, slow pour over the grains instead.

I'm sure someone else has run into this - anyone found a suitable container which is the same diameter, yet taller?

Invariably I tend to make bigger beers, and every time I go to use my Phil's Sparger sprinkler assembly I find that I can't because the grain sits too high in the container - the sprinkler arms bottom-out against the grain. I end up having to do low-tech, slow pour over the grains instead.

I'm sure someone else has run into this - anyone found a suitable container which is the same diameter, yet taller?

Long ago, back when I was using a Phil's rotating sparge arm this would occasionally happen to me as well. I discovered that it works just fine, if not better, when it's slightly submerged. IOW, don't worry about it if it's a little below the surface of the mash liquid. I don't know what you are using as a MT right now, but if you don't have sufficient capacity, I would simply buy a lager vessel. Don't worry if the sparge arm is not turning. IMO it doesn't make any difference in the performance. You could also reduce your water to grain ratio a bit. I've done that more than a few times when I was maxing out my MT capacity.

IOW, don't worry about it if it's a little below the surface of the mash liquid.

It's way worse than that. It's not just a little below the level of the liquid mash - I can't even push it down far enough into the grains to get the pedestals to seat around the rim. Admittedly my last batch had a 14 lb grain-bill, so it was bigger than usual.

It's way worse than that. It's not just a little below the level of the liquid mash - I can't even push it down far enough into the grains to get the pedestals to seat around the rim. Admittedly my last batch had a 14 lb grain-bill, so it was bigger than usual.

The grain bed should settle a bit as the malt hydrates completely and some of the starches dissolve. Just lay the sparge arm across the top of the kettle ans proceed. You don't even really need a sparge arm at all, but you probably already knew that.

You don't even really need a sparge arm at all, but you probably already knew that.

Right, I think I've only been able to use this thing as designed once. I'm thinking if perhaps an eight-gallon bucket exists of the same six-gallon style (i.e. diameter) that we typically use, that would be ideal.

Right, I think I've only been able to use this thing as designed once. I'm thinking if perhaps an eight-gallon bucket exists of the same six-gallon style (i.e. diameter) that we typically use, that would be ideal.

Buckets larger than about 7 gallons can be hard to find. Maybe consider a cooler. You can get those at low cost with the added benefit that they are insulated. Lots of people are using the round 10 gallon Gotts and Igloo coolers as mash tuns.

Back