Brewers Best kit... Instruction help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattymatt79

Reaction score
So, these brewcraft kits really leave some to be desired. Yes I know I can figure things out, but as far as the instructions go, it's pretty lackluster.

I got the belgian wit kit and I'm brewing it today, but I have some questions.

I know, the grains in the steep bag @150 for 30 minutes, but then I have all kinds of other stuff. 3lbs of DME and a 1LB of DME. Corriander seeds, Orange Peel, Paradise Seeds. When do I add them, and do I put them in a bag?

My thought was after the steep, add 3LB of DME and bring to boil and add the hops. Boil for 50 minutes, add the 1lb of DME for 10 minutes, and then add the orange peel, corriander, grains of paradise for 5 minutes.

Also, should the corriander and paradise go directly in so they get transfered over to the fermenter or should they be bagged and taken out with the orange peel bag?

Argh...

That's a good plan. You can do either with the bag or not, I used to use one all the time, but now I just chuck them in. 10 minutes might be ok with the orange peel, and maybe the corriander. GOP is strong so 5 mins sounds good, not knowing how much you have.

You'll want to crack the corriander, i smash mine up good but I like a lot of spice on the end of it.

Yeah reading more threads here, I guess I'm gonna want to do the orange peel for 15-20 minutes. I'm gonna bag the peel and drop the seeds directly in after crushing them.

Are my thoughts on the dme right though? 50 + 10 or all at once?

personal preference. 10 will give you a lighter colored brew. I think. haven't done extract in years and never got in to late extract additions.

You've got the right idea. Use the little square hop schedule at the lower right hand corner of the directions. I think it has you adding the dme and spice pack along with your last hop addition. Can't remember the specifics at the moment

from what i read on the bb site is that u add the spice pack at the 40 min mark of the boil. At that time u add your dme as well.

Brewers best instructions are pretty good. Look at the checkist and it gives you everything you need to know.

55 minute boil . Start of boil ad the LME and bittering hops then after 40 minutes (15 minutes left) ad the spice pack and the DME. At 10 minutes left ad the flavor hops and then finish boil.

My first brew was a BB kit and the direstions with the checklist made it pretty easy.

Enjoy your new hobby/ obsession

It was brewcraft not bb, I tried to change it but I couldn't change the topic.

Turned out ok, the grain bag stuck to the pot, so some grain came out. I got it filtered out but smelled really good. Already has some krausen forming.

So next random question; the kit instructions said to leave in a primary for 5~7 days, which in my opinion sounds a little on the short side of life. Obviously yes, I know take readings and whatnot with the hydromater but I usually leave things in 2~3 weeks.

Any thoughts? I know wheats are typically supposed to be on the younger side of life, but this just sounds really short.

If I'm not mistaken brewers best puts a brew schedule at the bottom right hand corner of the directions page. I maybe wrong though

Latest posts

Back