Stone 2009 Old Guardian clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
Brewed this Saturday... took a bunch of pics, thought I'd post them:

23 1/2 pounds of grain...
f38dbd0f.jpg
d9c921cc.jpg
7e0d66d9.jpg

Very full 10 gallon mash tun
68289b34.jpg
84a56e16.jpg
6237556d.jpg
ce9c9542.jpg

The hops plants are in the background looking on nervously...
f129f99b.jpg

047b9183.jpg

First time whirlpooling actually worked for me...
b9401ac7.jpg

Nice clear beer...
106d46b1.jpg

In the fermenter...
5e0a5d9e.jpg

Turned out 1.105 OG. Two points high, but I'll take it!

There has been a recall on all Old Guardian kits from every HB store the world over. Now ship it to me so that I may turn it into Pee, Sweat and Vomit.

Also looking forward to the recipe location/posting of whats in it.

Just moved this beer off the dry hops. Looks great, tastes good but still needs to mature a bit. I think I'm going to bottle it all rather than keg it, and give it a few more months.

Looking very dark in the carboy
58bae50e.jpg

And a lot lighter in the glass
086f31b8.jpg

Update: Won 2nd place in American Strong Ale in the state fair with this, as well as best in show in another local homebrew competition.

It's aging nicely... another 5 or 6 months and I think it'll be at its prime.

Turns out it was at its prime at about 6 months. Hops started to drop off after that. I still have a few bombers of it. Still very good, but was best when the hops were more up front.

I just kegged the second batch. Accidentally dry hopped with Chinook instead of Centennial, and it's very nice. We'll see which was better, when it gets 6 months on it.

Maris Otter

*Edit: It might have called for "British Pale Malt", I'm not completely sure what the exact words were at this point.

Back