Need Help Choosing a Freezer - maybe the Haier 5.3 cu ft?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theminor

Reaction score
Well I've spent hours reading through the "Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs" thread and the newer "Keezer/Freezer/Kegerator Inside Dimension Database" thread and just searching for specific threads in general. I'm trying to find the best freezer to convert into a Keezer, but I still can't decide. After discussing with my wife, she really wants me to keep this thing small - in the 5 cubic foot size. But I want to be able to store as many kegs as possible in it, with the possibility of adding kegs in the future (my initial build will have only 2).

I've been to Lowes and Home Depot and looked at the GA and Holiday. I've plotted the dimensions posted in the database thread as well as into Google Sketchup and virtually arranged cylinders in these cubes to see what will fit what. All of the models I've found can only fit 3 cornyes (with a collar) no matter how I swing it. The only 5.0 cf freezer that can hold 4 seems to be the old Holiday 5.0 model that used to be sold at Lowes (first one listed int he "Sizing your Chest" thread. The new Lowes model can only fit 3 with a collar, sadly.

Then I decided to look on Amazon and found the Haier HNCM053E 5.3 cubic foot model, goes for around $215 shipped. I saw a thread listing very "crude" measurements of the interior dimensions as follows:

W (deeper section) ~ 14.5"
W (hump) ~ 9.5"
D ~ 16"

Plugging those measurements into sketchup, it looks like I can almost fit 4 9" cylandars in there with a collar. If one or two of the kegs were ball-locks (my first 2 kegs are pin-lock, sadly) it looks like 4 could be squeezed in there. I wonder how accurate those measurements are, though.

If I could squeeze 4 kegs into this bad-boy, I'll buy it! So I'm wondering if anyone who has this model can shed some light on it for me. From what I read, this model was sold in Kroger Stores for a while and there were some other deals on it from time to time. If anyone has it, please let me know!

Otherwise, any other recommendation on freezers in the 5 cf size range?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've spent hours reading through the "Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs" thread and the newer "Keezer/Freezer/Kegerator Inside Dimension Database" thread and just searching for specific threads in general. I'm trying to find the best freezer to convert into a Keezer, but I still can't decide. After discussing with my wife, she really wants me to keep this thing small - in the 5 cubic foot size. But I want to be able to store as many kegs as possible in it, with the possibility of adding kegs in the future (my initial build will have only 2).

I've been to Lowes and Home Depot and looked at the GA and Holiday. I've plotted the dimensions posted in the database thread as well as into Google Sketchup and virtually arranged cylinders in these cubes to see what will fit what. All of the models I've found can only fit 3 cornyes (with a collar) no matter how I swing it. The only 5.0 cf freezer that can hold 4 seems to be the old Holiday 5.0 model that used to be sold at Lowes (first one listed int he "Sizing your Chest" thread. The new Lowes model can only fit 3 with a collar, sadly.

Then I decided to look on Amazon and found the Haier HNCM053E 5.3 cubic foot model, goes for around $215 shipped. I saw a thread listing very "crude" measurements of the interior dimensions as follows:

Plugging those measurements into sketchup, it looks like I can almost fit 4 9" cylandars in there with a collar. If one or two of the kegs were ball-locks (my first 2 kegs are pin-lock, sadly) it looks like 4 could be squeezed in there. I wonder how accurate those measurements are, though.

If I could squeeze 4 kegs into this bad-boy, I'll buy it! So I'm wondering if anyone who has this model can shed some light on it for me. From what I read, this model was sold in Kroger Stores for a while and there were some other deals on it from time to time. If anyone has it, please let me know!

Otherwise, any other recommendation on freezers in the 5 cf size range?

Hmmm, I had someone do the measurements on a used one for me. I don't remember the details, but I saw I could barely get two in without a collar. Since the hump is usually smaller than the well, I'd be surprised if you could get four in there. All mine are pin-locks, though, so....

4 in a small freezer like that would be a real energy saver and probably keep great temperature regulation due to the mass!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well based on those cited dimensions, 2 pin locks should squeeze in the bottom part. Since the shelf is 9.5" wide, that leaves enough room for one more on the shelf and one sitting half on the shelf and half off (but that last one probably needs to be a ball-lock). That is only if those dimension are pretty exact or very close.

UPDATE: I went by the local Walmart just now and they sell a Black and Decker 5.3 cu ft. freezer for $150, which is quite a price. Unfortounately, they don't have any on display; they just have large boxes on the shelf in the kitchen section. The box has a good picture on it but, of course, no interior dimensions of the freezer. I wrote down the model number as BFE63 but after googling it, I think that should be BFE53.

I'm strongly considering getting one of these and just hoping it will work. $150 is cheaper than anything at Lowes/Home Depot and craigslist has turned up nothing for me in this size range. I could always return it if absolutely necessary and there is a chance that it will fit 4 (which would be ideal)!

Has anyone seen one of these Black and Decker 5.3 cf models?

I'd go for one of the 7.2 cubic fts which are around 200. They've been shown to fit up to 6 with a collar. And a 7.2 cf is only like 6-7 inches wider than a 5cf.

I bought a GE 7.0 CF Model FCM7SUBWW at Home Depot. It is going to work great for 3, but should fit four with the CO2 on the outside.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg4/R-100598963/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here is a picture of the inside with detailed dimensions.

C1.jpg

I bought a GE 7.0 CF Model FCM7SUBWW at Home Depot. It is going to work great for 3, but should fit four with the CO2 on the outside.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg4/R-100598963/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here is a picture of the inside with detailed dimensions.

C1.jpg

+1

I converted this into a keezer using a 2x10" pine collar and it will comfortably hold 5 cornys. I picked it up in late 2009 for $168 when it was on sale.

Good suggestions all around. Thanks! I'm still trying to keep it to the ~5 cf size, though since space is very tight. If can get 4 in a freezer that size, that would amazing. I'm hoping either the Walmart Black and Decker 5.3 cf or the Amazon Haier 5.3 cf freezers will work but we'll see. Since the Walmart route is only $150 I'll try it first. I'll let you know how it goes.

A 7 cf size would be awesome but if I can fit 4 in the smaller size, that would ideal. I know it will be a squeeze, but it just might work!

OK I lucked out with the Black and Decker 5.3 cu ft. $150 at Walmart and it is a great size! As I had hoped, I should be able to fit 4 kegs in this bad boy and if I'm really lucky a 5# Co2 tank might fit in one of the spaces (not sure how the regulator would fit though). The caveat is that at least two of the corneys need to be 8.5" diameter ball locks. I calculated using two 9" pin locks and two 8.5" ball locks. The two 9" cylinders fit on the floor with plenty of room to spare and the hump (nearly 9" wide itself) can hold another cylandar. The 4th cylinder sits half-on and half-off the hump so I'll need to build some sort of "hump extension" for that tank. It is very tight with kegs of these sizes but it should work. If All 4 were ball locks, it would certainly be less of a squeeze! My actual kegs aren't in yet so I was using cardboard circles. I also modeled the interior using google sketchup and it all checks out.

So now I need to determine the size of my collar. Its a pretty tall hump so I'm betting the collar will be pretty tall...

I took a picture of the interior with my cardboard circles The two yellow paper circles are 8.5" diameter and the two cardboard circles are 9". Once I actually get 4 kegs in there, I'll probably move the ball locks to the floor and put the pin-locks on the hump since they are shorter. For those wondering, here are the interior dimensions, which I'll also post in the other threads on freezer sizes:

Full width: 25 3/4"
Full Height: 25 1/2"
Full Depth: 15 3/8"
Hump Height:8 3/4"
Hump width: 8 15/16" (hump is full depth, right side)

W5apQl.jpg

Question: in sizing my collar, how much height should I allow above the kegs? In other words, how much clearance should I have above the kegs to account for fittings, space, etc?

You will not be able to fit a co2 tank in there. And lucky if you get 4 kegs. Not to be a downer, but an outside co2 tank sitting on the side takes up just as much space as a 7.2 would (and is uglier).

My ball locks are measuring more like 8.75" or more, which can make for a tight fit. I'm rooting for you.

I'd say you need about 8" on top of the kegs for a comfortable fit with shanks in the collar. You don't want the shanks to interfere with the rubber handles or extra tubing.

Well that is a good point. They did not have this thing on display at Walmart so I asked if it would be an issue to return it and they said it wouldn't be a problem so I still might swap it for a 7.0 if I can find one that meets the approval of the Wife! We also did some measuring and found a spot for the Keezer to sit and it looks like there is a bit more room than we originally anticipated.

Any suggestions on 7 cf size models? I don't see the Magic Chef on Home depot's website any more, but boy it looks amazing... Anyone know of another place to get the Magic Chef these days?

As a follow-up, here are some screen captures of my sketchup renderings. As you can see, I can theoretically fit 4 kegs and a 5# tank in there (the tank would have to be propped up so the regulator can stick out above the other kegs. It is a squeeze, no doubt, but I really want to make this work (it would save me having to return the freezer and haul another one home)...

Side view:
wFs3rl.jpg

Overhead view:
SHoPFl.jpg

That is with two 9" diameter and two 8.5" diameter, so if ball locks really are larger than 8.5" it probably wouldn't fit. This would all be a lot easier if my kegs had come in yet and I could actually test them! :drunk:

OK my kegs came in over the weekend - I ended up going with all four ball locks to be sure they'd fit. I threw them in there and they fit with plenty of room :D

Here is a pic in case anyone is looking at this freezer:
tv9sxl.jpg

For $150, it is a great size and it looks like there will be plenty of room for my Co2 tank (5#). It hasn't come in yet, but if I prop it up, I think it will fit. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Time to start building the collar...

Yes it was in my local Wal-mart, one of those "super" Wal-marts, if it makes a difference. I've got it all set up now with 4 kegs and a 5# Co2 tank. All Fit comfortably in the keezer. (I put a pretty tall collar on it - somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 to 9.5 inches!) All my kegs are ball lock, about 8.5" in diameter.

Its also an energy star appliance if that makes a difference to anyone. Draws right a 1 amp while running (I think that is what the label said) and somewhere around 9 amps at start up, according to the label. This made me feel comfortable using one of these eBay aquarium temperature controllers - it works well and was really inexpensive.

I wish I'd seen this earlier, although you made a good purchase. I would have said NOT to buy the Haier. I own a 7.2 cf Haier. After only 3 years it took a crap on me and we lost a boatload of food, not to mention 1200 oz. of... um... home-brewed dairy for our baby, if you catch my drift... It'll cost more that it's worth to fix, so I'm turning it into a lagering cave until I decide to fix it...

Yes it was in my local Wal-mart, one of those "super" Wal-marts, if it makes a difference. I've got it all set up now with 4 kegs and a 5# Co2 tank. All Fit comfortably in the keezer. (I put a pretty tall collar on it - somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 to 9.5 inches!) All my kegs are ball lock, about 8.5" in diameter.

Its also an energy star appliance if that makes a difference to anyone. Draws right a 1 amp while running (I think that is what the label said) and somewhere around 9 amps at start up, according to the label. This made me feel comfortable using one of these eBay aquarium temperature controllers - it works well and was really inexpensive.

I am curious you mentioned that your ball locks will fit would there be enough room if the kegs were all 9" in diameter? Also I am looking at puting in a full keg at one point just balancing it on the hump. Can you tell me your inside measurments to see if one would squeeze in there? thanks

I am curious you mentioned that your ball locks will fit would there be enough room if the kegs were all 9" in diameter? Also I am looking at puting in a full keg at one point just balancing it on the hump. Can you tell me your inside measurments to see if one would squeeze in there? thanks

Er - see post #12 in this thread:drunk:

Yeah I know stupid question I forgot you mentioned the measurments earlier. Have you tried putting in a full keg?

LoL no problem I do the same thing. Nope, I've just put been storing cornies of homebrew in there...

have you happened to notice how often that thing turns on? what temp are you finding you like it at?

I just came across your design after coming up with the same one myself. I have the same size freezer and came up with the same layout for 4 kegs and a Co2 talk. Any advise since you have had this for a few years now? Is it sill working? Would you do this design again? Thanks.

Yes, the freezer works fine, although it has been recalled, as I understand it. I never got it repaired (free repair) but it is still running strong. I don't use it as a keezer anymore, just as a regular freezer (needed a freezer and had an old mini-fridge I converted), but it worked fine. It takes a really high collar with this setup, which makes air-flow a problem. Use a lot of insulation on the collar and add a few fans in there - that's what I did... but for he size, it was great. 4 kegs plus co2 in that size is great!

Thanks theminor. I got my regulators today (4 together). Did you put yours inside or outside. It barely fits on the inside with the insulation so I was thinking about installing them outside and covering them. What did you do? Do you have any pictures of your final build?

Thanks theminor. I got my regulators today (4 together). Did you put yours inside or outside. It barely fits on the inside with the insulation so I was thinking about installing them outside and covering them. What did you do? Do you have any pictures of your final build?

I only had 1 regulator so I put it and the tank inside. I might have a picture somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it...

Back