So... uh... how hosed am I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
I started my Mead Day '06 brew on August 5 (mostly clover, 3 lbs of buckwheat), and it was bubbling along nicely, then as of Tuesday it looked like the airlock activity had basically stopped. So, I racked it to a secondary.

Then, it occurred to me: "Maybe take a hydro reading?" It was at 1060! (I think it started at 1080). Ruh-roh! Now all that yeast is gone...

So the question is- will it continue fermenting with the yeast that remains in suspension? Or do I have to hit it with more yeast?

And- have I done anything that cannot be repaired?

I used a sweet mead yeast, which has been mostly left behind in the primary after racking.

Does a lot of fermentation generally happen after airlock activity drops?

What is your target FG? Man, Id say that you are not going to see even a 10 point drop in the secondary with it off the main yeast cake and showing little or no activity. Id maybe have taken the gravity reading before racking off, there is always the option of repitching...

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to- that was just poor planning on my part. Fortunately, I have another pack in the fridge, so no worries. Here's hoping it doesn't blow up on me...

It will keep fermenting, even without more yeast. Meads are just very slow fermenters due to the lack of nutrients in honey. A shot of yeast nutrient and one of yeast energizer might be a good idea.

If your only sugars are from honey, you should see 1.010 by New Year's:)

I agree with David. Meads are notoriously slow to ferment. 6 months is not uncommon. It'll move fast at first, then slow way down. Yeast nutrient is a great idea. You have enough yeast in suspension to ferment- no need to pitch more. Take occasional s.g. readings to assure that you don't have a stuck fermentation.

Lorena

Cool, cool- will drop in some more nutrient/energizer tonight, let it hang out for a bit.

Also--- Lorena... tomato wine?!?!

P funky said:
Cool, cool- will drop in some more nutrient/energizer tonight, let it hang out for a bit.

Also--- Lorena... tomato wine?!?!

that sounds terrible.

Eh, I trust her- if she's making it, it's got to have some redeeming qualities. :eek:

But... um... well, I'll wait to hear from her.

P funky said:
Eh, I trust her- if she's making it, it's got to have some redeeming qualities. :eek:

But... um... well, I'll wait to hear from her.

Bloody Mary ?

Latest posts

Back