Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently using the name of Cauldron7. Wy wife comes from a big Italian family, and makes tons of authentic Italian food. She was given the the "Cauldron" (a five callon pot) that has been in her family for generations and has been used to make gravy (Yeah Im the Irish guy who calls it gravy...) for years, even back in Italy. I brewed by first two beers in it (probably not the best move with all the dings in it). Our address and first home is 1204, when added togeather makes 7.

Who knows if I will stick with it, or when i will have time to create a nice label, but I like where it came from, and sounds pretty cool.

I'm am new to home brewing and well me and a friend have started brewing together... We were thinking of a name for our home brew and I just joked by saying, "lets call it Das Bier!" and well, he said yeah! The thing is I tend to shout out Das Bier! (English translation = the beer!) whenever we get together and I really want a beer, and so yeah... Das Bier! brewing company... still not sure, but looks like it might be our name...

Been brewing since I was in 7th grade (kinda, dad had a Mr Beer kit and was lazy), but just started back up again recently now that I'm in college. Decided I had to have a name for my beers.

Since the family owns a ranch back in New Mexico, and that is where I'm gonna be doing my brewing over breaks, I've decided to go with Ranch Hand Brewing.

Label is in the works, but will feature my ranch-wagon ('67 scout) in a position much like this sans doors with a "ranch hand" sitting sideways in the seat. Cowboy hat, chaps, and a stogie for good measure.

n13735265_38520306_3615.jpg

Beer names include: Cedar Post Cider (in my cabinent right now), Sandstone Stout, etc.

I am going with Old School Brewing Co. the reason being there is the most awesome 2 room brick school house right up the road that I would like to buy at some point. The name is a goal as much as anything.

At the moment I am leaning toward Floating Bottle Brewing Co. I took a short trip over the weekend, and while I was gone, we had record rainfall. For the second time in the last nine years, my basement flooded. After having to pump out 6000 gallons of water (rough estimate based upon the flow rate of the pump and how long I ran it for) the last time, I thought that I had taken all necessary precautions. I was wrong. This time, the local storm drain system overflowed, finding any place it could to relieve pressure. One of those places is a drain at the bottom of some stairs outside my back door. With no where to go, the water begin coming in under and around the door.

By the time I got home, there were only a few hundred gallons left in the basement, but the waterline is about where it was last time. I can not tell you how much of my stuff is destroyed, mainly because I am not done figuring it out yet. One thing that was destroyed was any cardboard box, especially ones full of bottles. I found bottles clear across the room from where they had started. I was already looking into replacing all of my card board boxes with wooden crates, before this happened. Now I have to do something, so I figure I will just do it right this time.

I don't know if Floating Bottle will stick and stay, but it is sure winning in my mind at the moment.

bigjon88 said:
I came up with Shaved Goat Brewing one day at work. I came up with a ghetto label for a few bottles of mead Im sending to my family. Just wondering how it sounds?

Certainly no worse than calling a beer Moose Drool.

I assume I don't get to have a brewery name until I use something other than a Mr Beer kit (tomorrow! Trip to LHBS tomorrow!), but when I do: Cathouse Brewery.

My friends all call me Kitty, and have for years. Back in the day, when I used to play Tradewars on local BBSes, my home planet was always 'Cathouse' (yes, I'm a big ol geek).

Plus, Cathouse Brewery sounds far more cool and hip than "Kitty's Apartment Brewery" (not to mention more mildly risque. ;))

I think Im chaning mine to

Chugach 49 Brew Co.

Chugach mountian range is a mile from my front window and AK is the 49th State. Lable to follow as soon as I can get photoshop to freaking load.

Mine is Drunken Knocker's Drinkables. Still working on a logo though.
Knockers are mischievous spirits that are said to watch over underground miners and steal tools and food. Being a miner myself, I like the idea of having a little spirit watching over me. And if a few bottles more than expected happen to go "missing" I can just say the Knockers took them.
And I assure you that the double entendre has nothing to do with it. (OK, maybe a little.)

Silviakitty said:
I assume I don't get to have a brewery name until I use something other than a Mr Beer kit (tomorrow! Trip to LHBS tomorrow!), but when I do: Cathouse Brewery.

My friends all call me Kitty, and have for years. Back in the day, when I used to play Tradewars on local BBSes, my home planet was always 'Cathouse' (yes, I'm a big ol geek).

Plus, Cathouse Brewery sounds far more cool and hip than "Kitty's Apartment Brewery" (not to mention more mildly risque. ;))

wewt tradewars... sometimes I miss the old BBS days and all the fun door games... L.O.R.D. and Tradewars were my addiction back then...

theshed said:
Mine is Drunken Knocker's Drinkables. Still working on a logo though.
Knockers are mischievous spirits that are said to watch over underground miners and steal tools and food. Being a miner myself, I like the idea of having a little spirit watching over me. And if a few bottles more than expected happen to go "missing" I can just say the Knockers took them.
And I assure you that the double entendre has nothing to do with it. (OK, maybe a little.)

Theres already a brewery which uses the little guys as its namesake. Tommyknockers Brewing Co. they are out of Colorado somewhere.

When I started reading this thread I had no idea what I would name my "Brewery" By the time I read 3 or 4 pages I think I came up with a name, but need to check it somehow.

I went to school at a HS called Valley Forge and I live on a street named Independence. I think it only fitting to name the brewery "The Independence Brewing Company". If I ever come up with my own great brew I can name it after famous battles, generals, declaration signers, or whatever. (much like Great Lakes Brewing does with their stuff)

Does anyone else thing this may be a decent idea?

MikeInCtown said:
When I started reading this thread I had no idea what I would name my "Brewery" By the time I read 3 or 4 pages I think I came up with a name, but need to check it somehow.

I went to school at a HS called Valley Forge and I live on a street named Independence. I think it only fitting to name the brewery "The Independence Brewing Company". If I ever come up with my own great brew I can name it after famous battles, generals, declaration signers, or whatever. (much like Great Lakes Brewing does with their stuff)

Does anyone else thing this may be a decent idea?

I think its a good idea. Beer is a huge thematic element in the formation of this country. Unfortunately, the name "Independence" has been used.

There's a couple of them. One in Austin, TX (Independence Brewing) and a Brewpub in Philly (Independence Brewpub).

Other options:

Valley Forge Brewing

Independence Street Brewery

Road to Independence Brewing

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

Some great ideas. After some thought I think it will be

The Independence Street Brew House

I did a Google check and didn't see anything close.

clemson55 said:
Theres already a brewery which uses the little guys as its namesake. Tommyknockers Brewing Co. they are out of Colorado somewhere.
Yeah, I know. Thats the only reason I didn't use Tommyknocker's in the name. Since everything is staying within my circle of friends right now I don't really see too much of a problem with the name. It is likely to change from "Knocker's" to "Coblynau's" once I actually get more than a few batches under my belt.

One Shoe Brew

Named by my SWMBO while capping our first batch ever. Our dog was starting to get a little pushy because we had been ignoring her for the past (2) hours while getting ready to cap our first batch. So there we are, half a case capped and arguing about the capper, we've got brew dripping on the floor, it's Wednesday, past bedtime, the dog's barking her head off for some attention - she needs a trip to the lawn - and then WHAM! The dog runs over, tears the slipper right off my foot and takes off down the hall like a hawk with a dead rat. Whoosh! I'm pissed at the SWMBO, pissed at the dog, pissed at the brew, pissed at the time and pissed at myself, ignoring everything and filling bottles. Not even a blink. SWMBO stops, looks up, kicks her head back, starts laughing at me and crackles: "One Show Brew!!"

Mine is Red Cobblers Brewery. My buddys last name translates into English essentially as 'Red' and mine into 'Shoemaker'. I found a great illustration from a children's book of two little elves with red hats on making shoes. Fits perfectly except that everyone asks why the elves are naked. I ask if it should matter since you lose 80% of your body heat from your head anyway.

K&K Brewing Ltd.

Both my buddy's last name and mine begin with the letter "K".

It was either that or the Krapolla Brewery, which is play on words on his last name (Kapalla).

I kinda' like K&K Brewing Ltd. better.

Mine is Rat Bones Brewing Co.
SWMBO's grandfather gave me a few carboys that are like 30 years old. he used to make wine and beer for aboiut 20 years or so. he hasn't made anything in 10 years....the carboys were just sitting out in his barn. When he gave them to me, there was a pile of rat bones in the bottom of one of the carboys. Apparently rats would fall in every now and then and not be able to get out. There were at least 6 rats in the carboy counting the skulls.

Don't worry. I have since cleaned, recleaned and sanitrized the carboy!:D

Well this was one that took me a little time to think up but I had some help...

Brewery Name: Snoop Dogge Jay Dogge Brewery

After a lot of pondering bear-themed names, I decided to stick with the Potowatami indian name for the town I live in...so, Mequanego Brewing Co.

Mequanego = generally, place of the bear, or place of killing the bear.

I haven't run it past SWMBO yet, but she thinks it's silly that I even want to name my brewery in the first place...So here's what I got...

The Belgian Lady Brewing

So here's the back story...I'm half Belgian (Flemish to be exact, but who's counting) and there's this great bar by my house called the Cadieux Cafe. On the side of the building is this great logo of a sexy girl all dressed up
14109-cadieux_chick.gif

...so I've always kind of personally referred to the bar as the Belgian lady. Plus I think that it has a great ring to it...let me know what you think? I was going to call it the Drunken Duck but there's too many places already called that....

So, originally I contemplated "Libre Ales" or something similar: love the concept of Libre!

Anyway... Having just read Orwell's distopian treatsie...

I'm adopting "Newspeak Brewing".

Newspeak, for those who haven't read the book, is the official language of the government at the time, designed to (by eliminating useless words) narrow the range of human though. The idea is that after Newspeak has become the only language spoken the population would be incapable of rising up and overthrowing to government (It's hard to organize rebellions when you have no word for "Freedom" or "Rebellion").

Modern crticism believes that political correctness is the first step towards the emergence of Newspeak.

Also, "Speak" has somewhat of a rebellious second-meaning to me in relation to alcohol, being that during prohibition it was at speakeasies. The contrast I find quite amusing. :)

Kevin Dean said:
So, originally I contemplated "Libre Ales" or something similar: love the concept of Libre!

Newspeak, for those who haven't read the book, is the official language of the government at the time, designed to (by eliminating useless words) narrow the range of human though. The idea is that after Newspeak has become the only language spoken the population would be incapable of rising up and overthrowing to government (It's hard to organize rebellions when you have no word for "Freedom" or "Rebellion").

Modern crticism believes that political correctness is the first step towards the emergence of Newspeak.

Also, "Speak" has somewhat of a rebellious second-meaning to me in relation to alcohol, being that during prohibition it was at speakeasies. The contrast I find quite amusing. :)

Hey how about "DoublePlusGood Brewing"?

We're working on ours,

So far I think Barefoot Lions or Barefoot Lion

Barefoot being one of my buddy's family names, back in history

And Lion being the symbol on my Family Crest. thinking of using the crests for labels, his is a simple red chevron point up with 3 black circles, in a triangle, basically point down. I have cut the Lion's head off mine and laid that over the symbols on his, looks ok. will post eventually

I just resently came up with a name.

Barn Burner Brewing Co.

As in the definition:
An extremely impressive event or successful outcome.

Barn Burner was also a slang term used in the 50 and 60 to describe a stylishly dressed and classy lady.

I am also a cigar smoker so it just seems like a fitting name.

I'm thinking about "The Underground Brewery" as I do virtually all of my brewing activities in the basement. I haven't got any inspiration for a label design yet.

zoebisch01 said:
Hey how about "DoublePlusGood Brewing"?

Because if I name it Newspeak Brewery then I can use Newspeak terms for brews.

I've much rather sip on a DoublePlusGood IPA. The old saying "In vino verita" (In wine, truth!) implies one speaks their mind while drunk - Minitru - A fitting name for a Barleywine. :)

I'm such a geek.

Kevin Dean said:

I really like that name. Pretty intellectual though... are you sure you are in the right place?;)

CowBrau Brewery. It's a take off on my last name. My forum name is an old nickname. (What's a Cowgo? About 3 mph) The CowBrau label was created by an artist friend of my brother 20 years ago when I started brewing (grocery store bought premier malt extract and red star yeast in 5 gallon pickle barrel.)

14183-cowbrau1.jpg

Back