Regulator leak :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Ok, so I've got a big CO2 tank, and have been troubleshooting this for a while now. I thought I had a leak somewhere since the tank would empty after a couple of months(2-3), so it's atleast a small leak. Anyway, after refilling again yesterday, I started digging. I'd previously checked all my hoses and connections with soapy water, and the regulator's connections(threads, hose outlet, etc...). Couldn't find anything, so I finally just splashed the whole regulator with soapy water.....and I finally got a bubble! :(

But, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be doing that or not. The bubble is coming out of a small hole underneath the screw I use to set pressure. I have a double regulator and only the regulator on the left does this, if I cover that hole on the right one with soapy water, I get no bubbles, so I'm guessing there shouldn't be gas(air???) coming out of that hole on the left one.

So now the question is, how do I go about fixing this? Anyone know?

IMG_20120404_100050.jpg

IMG_20120404_100027.jpg

Take the regulator apart and replace the oring or diaphragm, whichever is busted. Its been while since I've taken one apart so I don't vividly recall the inner workings, but I do remember them being deceptively simple devices.

thanks, I was guessing something wasn't sealing in there.

Since this will be the first regulator I've ever pulled apart(I'm mechanically inclined enough that I'm not worried about doing this), if I were to walk into my LHBS(Midwest) and ask them for an oring or a diaphram, they would know what Im' talking about right?

I've never shopped there. I'd imagine its the little oring, and if so you could get it at a hardware store. If its the diaphragm I'm not sure where you would get that. Maybe try a welding supply shop, airgas if you have one in your area.

Ok, I finally pulled apart the regulator tonight. I can't see any visible tears or holes in the diaphragm or the little orange ring the diaphragm nipple goes into.

Looking at midwest's site, this looks like what I would need to replace the parts: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/kegging/gas-supplies/regulator-accessories/cornelius-regulator-repair-kit.html

However, when I pulled the face off, all I saw was the diaphragm and the orange gasket thingie. I have no clue what the little black o-ring is for, or the little metal piece....maybe I need to pull the regulator apart more??? I just removed the 4 screws to get the front cover off so far.

Does anyone by any chance have a diagram of regulators Midwest sells? This is the regulator I have: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/kegging/gas-supplies/regulators-accessories/double-co2-regulator.html

I've found some regulator schematics with google, but none look exactly like the one I have.

Is there an oring on the adjustment screw where it is leaking? If so I'd replace that and then go from there.

Did you come across this one? A pdf parts explosion drawing of what might be a generic Cornelius primary regulator. It lists the repair kit contents by item number referencing the parts table and diagram...

Cheers!

Is there an oring on the adjustment screw where it is leaking? If so I'd replace that and then go from there.

Negative. The adjustment screw has a metal bowl on the end that pushes against a spring. The sprint presses on the brass center of the diaphragm. The diaphragm nipple sticks into the orange gasket. There are no other visible rubber parts without pulling the regulator even further apart.

edit: I also pulled apart the regulator on the right. This is exactly the same as the left, but doesn't leak, and also doesn't leak after reassembly......I thought I might be missing a gasket in the left one, but after examining the right everything appears to be the same between the 2.

dummkauf said:
Negative. The adjustment screw has a metal bowl on the end that pushes against a spring. The sprint presses on the brass center of the diaphragm. The diaphragm nipple sticks into the orange gasket. There are no other visible rubber parts without pulling the regulator even further apart.

Hmmm. Could have been a misaligned diaphragm. You could try to line it up better and reassemble and see if that helps. Its hard to trouble shoot a regulator over the internet. Lol

Thanks for the tips. I've tried reseating the diaphragm a few times but no go. I couldn't make it to the LHBS today, but am hoping to make it down there tomorrow. Hoping a new diaphragm will do it. The one in there looks good, but you never know. This is my first time messing with a regulator, but I've seen rubber gaskets on my motorcycles that look perfectly fine too, yet leak oil/air/gas/etc..., and the only fix is a new gasket(even though I can't see anything wrong with the one that's in there), I'm thinking this may be a similar situation.

Ok, picked up the repair kit, and every piece of rubber on the leaky regulator has been replaced.......and it's still leaking :(

It's also still leaking the exact same way. Bubbles are still being produced in the same spot at about the same rate as before. If I plug the hole with my finger the PSI goes up 1-2 ticks, and I can hear the slight hiss of escaping gas when I remove my finger.

Any other ideas what could be the issue? I'm pretty sure this has been doing it since I bought the regulator 1.5 years ago, but I initially thought the leak was with my hookups, as my first tank of gas lasted about 7 or 8 months....and now they're down to about 2 months. So whatever it is, it's slow, but getting worse.

Well I need to give a shout out to Midwest on this one. Took it down there, over a year past purchase and no receipt, and explained the situation. Was taken in back and had Dale(very friendly guy) pull it apart, inspect everything, put it back together, and it was still leaking. At which point he went and grabbed a brand new housing and replaced the defective housing with a brand new one. Reassembled and no leaks anywhere now!!!

I've never had anything but good service at Midwest, though this is the first time I've ever had to bring back a defective product, I certianly was not expecting a brand new housing. I was thinking my regulator was going to get shipped off somewhere to get repaired at my own expense, but Midwest gladly corrected the situation no questions asked.....I love that place! :)

Back