Diy jockey box questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xalwine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I plan on making a rolling jockey box out of a cooler. I am gonna get stainless beverage coil for inside but I don't wanna spend the 80 for 50 feet. Will 25 feet be enough if I keep the keg cool? I just don't want foam.

image-4153395532.jpg

Now, I'm no expert in this, but i do see people using cold plates also. Seeing as how the cold plates are fairly small, i can't imagine that the channels within that are even close to 25'. I'm sure you'll be fine, just keep that coil submerged in icy water!

I just put the finishing touches on my jockey box.

Before I put the SS coils showed up, I had a BBQ cookoff to go to. We got a keg of Shiner (don't have any homebrewed stuff yet). We kept the keg on ice and just used ~20ft of 3/16" beer line (plastic) in the jockey box and kept it covered in ice. It worked great. I didn't get any real cooking effect from the beer line, but it didn't foam since I kept the keg cold.

So short answer is yes, 25ft will work as long as you keep the keg cold.

On a side note, I didn't want to pay big bucks for the coils either, so I bought 304 SS tubing at Grainer (~$50) and bent it myself - saved quite a bit of cash!

Dry Ice would work great with a plate chiller since you just want ice and no water. But with a coil it's better to have ice/water to completely surround the coils for the best heat transfer. I also separated the coils with plastic cable/zip ties so each loop of the coil sits about 5/16" above the Lower one. This way they have the most surface area touching the icy water instead of the coils sitting In a big pile and touching each other.
If you want it colder and don't mind using more ice, dump salt on the ice it will melt fast but get super cold.

Back