Blueberry Wit Gone wrong. Time to Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfreeordie

Reaction score
I was planning on a nice light blueberry witbier in the 1.050 range. 50/50 wheat and lightly hopped with Hallertauer. I did a rest @ 112 as suggested by some to center the profile on the cloves (hate banana). Things were going swimmingly until my pump lost it's prime for about 5-10 unattended minutes during the boil. All grain EBIAB. Did I mention my temp sensor is at the pump housing?

Suffice to say just because you've got a PID doesn't mean your setup is idiot-proof. Long story short I scorched the snot out of my wort. It went from a spot-on pale wheat to a carmalized amber with a not-too-subtle smokey background. You can DEFINITELY taste it. No DME, no LME, and the element was under 9 gallons of wort the whole time. What could go wrong? Go do something for 10 minutes and when I went back outside I could smell it. I actually burned water. I burned the hell out of it.

Screw it. I'm taking this all the way to the glass. It may just be the best beer ever (it will be unique!) but I'm not naive enough to think I can get away with a subtle flavor. I overshot gravity to about 1.062, and left it heavy vs thinning it out. I figure I'll have to really do some major adjuncts. I'm using WB-06 for the yeast at mid 60s ferm temp.

Anybody have any suggestions? What goes good with smokey wit?

i would dump it.

images

NEVER!!!!

Is it too late to switch the yeast up?

Plenty of tasty, well-respected styles have smokey and caramelized flavors -- Scotch ales, rauchbiers, etc. But I'm having a hard time imagining those flavors going well with your typical hefeweiseny esters and suspended yeast.

Is it too late to switch the yeast up?

Plenty of tasty, well-respected styles have smokey and caramelized flavors -- Scotch ales, rauchbiers, etc. But I'm having a hard time imagining those flavors going well with your typical hefeweiseny esters and suspended yeast.

Yeah I thought of that too late.

Back