Winter Time Wort Chilling Ease

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
I'm too cheap for a wort chiller..this works pretty well since we remain below freezing 6 months out of the year

..guest appearance by my dog, Goomba playing in the snow.

Image%202013.02.09%204:18:38%20PM.png

How much wort and how long does it take?

I left the lid on when I tried it as there are so many birds around that may be willing to contribute.

It takes about an hour to reach 80 and is about 5 gallons in volume. Outside temp is 18 and the pot is now completely under the ice having melted all of the way down to the ground.

It's way below freezing so I'm not too worried about an infection this time of year but I've heard it's possible. I don't keep the top on because I heard that's bad?

an hour?!?!
i thought you wanted to cool it as fast as possible?
with the cold water we get now i cool 5 gallons in like 7-8 minutes with my copper coil wort chiller

an hour?!?!
i thought you wanted to cool it as fast as possible?
with the cold water we get now i cool 5 gallons in like 7-8 minutes with my copper coil wort chiller

Like I said..I'm cheap. Yes, one hour and that's sitting atop 2.5 feet of snow and literally being covered in snow when I'm done...still yes 1 hour.

Id think youd have more luck finding chunks of ice and putting it ina rubbermaid and stiring it. An hours an awful long time. You may as well do no chill at that pointm

Latest posts

Back