grapefruit taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to know the hops used and the amounts.

Amarillo, Simcoe, and Cascade are known for their grapefruit and citrusy characters. Other hops can also provide citrusy flavors or complement those that do. For example, I got 1 lb of Chinook last year and have used it quite a bit in my IPAs and it has played very well with Amarillo, Cascade, and Glacier while not coming off piney or resinous, however YMMV.

If you happen to be in the Midwest (Michigan, specifically), look for Red RyePA brewed by Founder's. Great IPA-style beer. Strong grapefruit taste. Love it.

What was your grain bill? The yeast most likely did cause the grapefruit taste. 3 oz total can be on the strong side if you don't have a relatively hearty malt backbone. I would bet this one is closer to the APA range than the IPA range as far as malt character and ABV, which would let the flavoring and aroma hops really stand out.

Some ale yeast do tend to lend a fruity character to a beer. But not grapefruit. They can add to the taste,but not creat it imo. "C" hops def add that flavor/aroma.

Beer calculus has your IBU's at 247... it should taste like you are chewing grapefruit peelings lol.

i usally only use 2 oz and do .5 at 60 .5 45 .5 30 .5 15 that usally works. well if you want grapefruit juice use this recipe lol

If it was 5 gallons i'd say sit on it a few weeks and see if it mellows out. But i'm sure with 2 gallons you want to just drink it.

hey jd i just put it in with my grains and put it in the mash tun with everything else. Great news on the beer. After about 2 weeks of drinking this beer it has really mellowed out. has just a little hint of grapefruit now. found the last one in the closet. have in fridge. on vaction till wed. so when i get back going to try it. hey jd give me the recipe of that malt liquor. would like to try and make some myself.

Ive only had grapefruit taste on beers that were put on tart fruit, like my strawberry blonde that went onto 8lbs of strawberries...

For the first month and a half it was super tart, and had a grapefruit taste because of it...now its mellowed out a lot and the other flavors are coming through.

My latest ipa tastes like pure unadulterated grapefruit heaven, but I did it on purpose, I like the taste.

Back