How's this kettle look for doing BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhunk

Reaction score
That looks awesome! I've never seen the bayou classic with a ball valve, but for BIAB I don't see how you could go wrong. I used the same one for several BIAB's (minus the valve) and the beers came out stellar. You really only need a floating milk thermometer anyways, and it's more accurate IMO. You could even do a recirc mash if you bought a sparge arm and a pump to pull off the drain valve.

I was looking at that kettle last night. I've only brewed 4 batches thus far in my 8 gal kettle, but am getting ready to go all-grain using BIAB. For some reason I don't feel like putting forth the energy to cut the top off and install valves into the keg my son brought home. I'm coming to the point that I need to get out of my rocking chair and brew something.

I have "agonized" over kettle size. I can't find the post where I asked a similar question about kettle size. It seemed that "everyone" was recommending the 15 gal kettle for 5 gal BIAB. It would allow for the full mash volume (no subsequent dunk sparge) as well as plenty of room to prevent boil-overs. Personally, I don't like the idea of looking down into a large pot and only using the bottom 1/3 or so. If you extrapolate the numbers I give down below, it's apparent that one cannot even do full volume mashes for 10 gal batches in a 15 gal kettle.

On this forum, someone suggested looking into the stainless steel kettles on this site. I'm looking at the 12 gallon:
http://spikebrewing.com/products/12-gallon-stainless-2-horizontal-couplers

There's a spreadsheet on the www.biabrewer.com website into which you enter your desired brew length (final volume of finished beer you want), your original gravity, and the diameter of your kettle. The spreadsheet then calculates the total volume of water you need taking into consideration what will be retained by the grain, what will be boiled off during their recommended 90 minute boil, kettle trub, and what will remain in the fermenter at bottling time.

One of the extract kits I brewed had an O.G. of 1.062. If I plug this into the calculator (planning on all-grain BIAB) along with the 13.6" diameter of this 10 gal Bayou Classic kettle, I get the following volumes:

1. total water = 8.5 gal (14" high in this 16" tall kettle prior to adding grain)
2. total mash volume = 9.6 gal
3. start of boil volume (after removing bag assuming full volume) = 7.6 gal (12.6" deep in this kettle)

Just for further calculations, I entered 1.083 into the calculator, because I was interested in a beer that had that for the O.G., the volumes increased by appr. 1 gal.

So, if my reasoning is correct, if using the 10 gal kettle, you will need to begin with a gallon or so less water for your mash and plan to dunk sparge your bag into the remaining water. The kettle will probably hold the full start of boil volume if you're careful with the boil. If you want to be cautious, you could keep out a little of the runnings from your dunk sparge and add it to the kettle as your level goes down during the boil. According to the BIABrewer forum, this is called Maxi-BIAB - performing BIAB when your kettle won't hold the entire mash volume.

It is likely that you've already thought all this through. I confess that I'm spending too much time reading, studying, and trying to make a decisive move when I should just get brewing.

Respectfully,
Keith

I did a biab last night with 11.75lbs of grain, 8 gallons of water. It was very close to the limit of my 10 gallon pot.

Need to watch it likes hawk when you first start to avoid boilovers.

I would suggest/recommend something larger. 12-15 gallons.

I lost a lot of wort (spillage etc.) when trying to make a 3 gallon batch of doppelbock. Not possible to make a 5 gallon high gravity beer with a 10 gallon pot,

I'm currently looking into a 20 gallon (80qt) pot so I can make 5 gallons of doppelbock and 10 gallons of regular gravity beers.

Good luck

Chris

While some people love the basket inserts, I have never bothered to use mine w/ my B/C 44 qt pot. The pot linked above says 2.5inches to the bottom of the pot from the basket, that is a fair amount of extra volume IMO.

That pot looks great! My LHBS said Bayou Classic is coming out with a new line marketed toward home brewers. I have a 7.5 gal and also BiAB, I also sparge with a smaller pot and combine them, with a 14lb grain bill there is less than a gallon of space left in the pot.

How's this kettle look for doing BIAB

looks great...$186 shipped seems like bust out retail and a little high...maybe I'm cheap IDK...60 qt Concord above for 100 bucks and add a valve seems like more value???

Latest posts

Back