Biscuit malt vs. special B?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
What is the difference in Biscuit malt and Special B malt? I have Biscuit malt and the recipe calls for special B, are they pretty much interchangeable? thanks.

Huge difference. Special B is a very assertive, some say "Raisiny" flavor and much deeper color. Biscuit lends an assertive "bready or biscuity" flavor. NOT interchangeable. Now, how that fits into your recipe would be a judgment call but we'd need to see the recipe. I am not saying "it won't work", but I am saying the ingredients themselves are completely different.

I am planning to do Ohiobrutus' EF clone, that is the recipe, I have never used or seen special B, hence the question, thanks guys.

Special B is the darkest Belgian crystal is is around 110L - 130L.

I've swapped 120L crystal for Special B but it isn't the same.

Special B is type of crystal malt. A very dark crystal at that with above mentioned qualities.

Biscuit is a lightly roasted malt. It provides toasty biscuity flavors and amber color. Victory (tradename) is a domestic version put out be Briess. I believe in the Uk biscuit is (or was) known as amber malt.

I am planning to do Ohiobrutus' EF clone, that is the recipe, I have never used or seen special B, hence the question, thanks guys.

Gotcha. Well, if you're looking for a sub for special B...that's not easy. It's very unique (and awesome!). I'd go with a crystal 120 as its closest relative.

Hehe, :off: I was thinking, Special B is a huge favorite specialty malts of many folks, myself included. It's almost a personal sentiment that I feel when discussing Special B :D

Special B is the best grain to eat right out of the bag.:rockin:

Um, no, I think it's Special K that you're supposed to eat. :D

I don't know if Special B needs yet another fan to jump on this bandwagon, but I do use it when it's appropriate and feel that there isn't really a good sub for it.

I haven't used it. I was going to use it in a Pumpkin Porter that I plan on brewing in the near future, but took it out. Based on the "rave reviews" I think I'll put it back in now. Thanks.

Back