Just bought a brewhouse!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
We just bought a brewhouse for the pub. It's a 3 bbl DME system and will fit perfectly in the little space we have in the back of the pub. It should arrive Seattle in the next couple of weeks!!!!!:ban:

Here's a picture of the jacketed fermenters. I'll try and get more pics up soon.
brew1.jpg

very cool man. I wish I lived out that area. It seems so much more beer friendly out there.

DME makes some great brew equipment. Good stuff. I think you'll really enjoy using their products. So did you buy everything for your brew setup? I mean, fermenters, bright tanks, MLT, brew kettle, etc? If so, how man bbls is your setup? Judging from the pics, those look like 10-15 bbl fermenters.

what's that feeling?

Oh, oh dear, it's ENVY! :D (I'm green with it).

BEAUTIFUL!

Originally posted by EinGutesBier
DME makes some great brew equipment. Good stuff. I think you'll really enjoy using their products. So did you buy everything for your brew setup? I mean, fermenters, bright tanks, MLT, brew kettle, etc? If so, how man bbls is your setup? Judging from the pics, those look like 10-15 bbl fermenters.

DME is great, I was excited to get this. I worked with a 15 bbl DME system at Lazy Boy Brewing. This is only a 3 bbl and those are 3 bbl fermenters (4.2 bbl gross capacity). We don't have a lot of room in the space so this system will be perfect for now. Plus it will allow us to brew some really fun stuff without fear of having to dump 15 bbls if it doesn't turn out as planned. ;)

Here's a complete list of equipment.

1. Water Filter/cartridge

2. Hot liquor pump

3. Wort pump

4. DME Stainless Steel Combination wort production vessel

Kettle
Mash Tun
Hot Liquor Tank
Whirlpool
Electric Heating Element

5. DME Brewhouse control panel and cabinet

6. Heat exchanger

7. Wort Aeration System

8. Brewhouse Transfer system

9. Brewhouse stainless steel piping and valving

8. Chilling Unit - cabinet and controls

9. Keg filler/cleaner

10. Cellar temperature control panel

11. Sheet filter

12. Sanitary Cellar Transfer Hose

13. Copper Banding

14. (5) 3 BBL Grundy Tanks

15. (4) DME 3 BBL Unitanks

16. All attachments and accessories to the above items.

We paid 45K, less than half of what we were quoted for a new system of this size from a few other manufacturers.

I believe it. In my experience, it's almost always better to buy used. Most of that equipment is well cared for and has plenty of batches left in it. Probably one of the greatest things about the brewing community is the "hand me down" mentality of equipment. Makes it a lot easier for start-ups to, well, start up.

Now the big question: what've you got slated on the 'ol brew schedule? :fro:

So, what's first on the brew list? Going for a fast wheat or starting with brews that need a bit more time, so you can intro a bunch at the same time?

I know one brewer with has a 7 bbl DME system, who added a couple 15 bbl fermenters for his popular brews.

That's way cool! Congrats!

I'm not that familiar with how a combination wort production vessel works. Are the HLT, MLT and Kettle all separate vessels or do you double one of them up?

jdoiv said:
That's way cool! Congrats!

I'm not that familiar with how a combination wort production vessel works. Are the HLT, MLT and Kettle all separate vessels or do you double one of them up?
The kettle is stand-alone and so is the MLT (those false bottoms are biiiiig!). Unless you have an HLT, you just heat up the sparge water in the kettle and transfer it to an empty fermenter if you have one and do your thing. For all intents and purposes, an HLT is a jacketed unitank as far as I know, and doesn't have its own heating element.

I'll be down for some patronage when you are open. I'm only up a few miles north in the Lynnwood/S. Everett area, and have been known to prowl the brewpubs. I am looking forward to it. Oh, and I also saw your info in the brewing news also. Ubercool!:mug:

I'm a little late in the day but that is the nicest system I've ever seen. Congratulations on your newest edition!

It's funny since we've never met but I'm so excited about your endeavor I can hardly stand it. Keep posting the great pictures so we can live vicariously through you!

Congratulations on the purchase. That looks like a sweet little system.

Hopefully you can get it shipped and installed with few problems.

The combi vessel is a separate mash/lauter tun, kettle and HLT in one big tank. It appears to be electrically heated.

Here is a link to a gallery of pictures of what I believe is the system Brewtopia bought.

http://onetimjones.com/DME_3BBL_BREW_SYSTEM/index.html

For those uf us that do live 3000 miles away, will you be selling "yeast samples?"

Brewtopia, that is awesome. And for 45k... a sweet deal. I'm coming sometime after you open. Don't know when, but it's already on the "to do" list. :rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Wow, wow. That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you and am itching with envy. You'll definitely see me around eventually, that's for sure.

So so so, what's the first brew huh!?!

Back