Yeast temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevandy

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of imperial blonde ale last night and got tired of waiting for the wort to cool to 70 degrees. When I poured it in the fermenter it was about 80 degrees when I pitched the yeast. Did I ruin it by pitching at too high a temperature?

If you pitched dry yeast in 80F wort,it was def a bit too warm. but wouldn't be as bad as pitching rehydrated yeast that was 80F when the wort was,say, 65F. The temperature differential can shock the yeast & slow down the reproductive or "lag" phase.

I have noticed that I usually get some esters from the yeast if I pitch at too high a temp, I prefer to pitch low and let it warm up.

That said I only had one brew that was undrinkable from pitching too high and it was using lager yeast.

You will probably be OK. Cool it down, let it ferment out, bottle it and see what it tastes like.

Well,if it was cool enough in the fermenters' surrounding area,it'd cool down overnight & would be ok. 64-69F is a better temp range on average. Some ale yeasts can go lower of course. But mid to high 60's is easier for the average brewer to maintain.

Thanks. I checked this morning and its sitting at about 72 degrees right now in the basement. We will see soon enough!

Thanks. I checked this morning and its sitting at about 72 degrees right now in the basement. We will see soon enough!

Ideally, you'd pitch the yeast now that it's cooler. I pitch my yeast at 60-65 for ales, if at all possible.

Not much you can do now, but pitching at 80 degrees is a bad idea. Much of the yeast reproduction and ester profile is produced in the first 24 hours, at that can have an impact on yeast health and flavor in the final beer.

Latest posts

Back