I may have added to little water to my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tssgery

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, I brewed up an extract recipe and think I may have added too little water to the wort after boiling. According to the recipe, the AHS Troegs Nugget Nectar clone, I should have ended up with about 5.25 gallons of wort... but I suspect I ended up with about 4.75-5.0 gallons.

Unfortunately, in my hurry to get the batch done and help my wife with a few things, I decided to not take an OG reading yesterday. Based upon AHS recommendation, I pitched two containers of White Labs WLP001 and it's fermenting quite well in the primary right now.

I'm tempted to just 'let it ride' and see what I come up with after a week in the primary.

That sounds like a good idea or should I do something sooner? If the OG looks high after a week in the primary, should I do something while racking to the secondary?

Leave it longer in the primary. Your beer may not be done fermenting at one week. Give it at least 2 weeks in the primary and 3 might be better yet. If you aren't adding fruit, oak, or doing long term lagering or storage, skip the secondary. There is no discernible advantage to moving the beer. Rack carefully when you are ready to bottle and you'll leave the yeast behind.

You are just going to end up with slightly higher ABV. Malt/Hop character is still in proportion, so it should still be very similar to your intended recipe taste-wise, just slightly higher ABV.

I end up short on my water volumes all the time, and the beer always turns out fine. Just let it ride!

Immediately add 3.25 tbsp of gypsum, 4 toadstools of varying girth, and the boiled entrails of a dead groundhog.

Dance backwards around the fermenter in a crazy fashion.

Stop on the LEFT foot (don't forget it) and spin 3 times.

-OR-

Do nothing and your beer will be fine.

Immediately add 3.25 tbsp of gypsum, 4 toadstools of varying girth, and the boiled entrails of a dead groundhog.

I heard it was your right foot? Perhaps my shaman gave me false info? :confused:

Either way, I think the easier method is certainly to let it ride and brew it again next week!

I usually just dunk the entrails in star san to sanitize them. Avoids that "cooked small mammal" flavor that's ruined so many batches.

Back