Slightly stirred kraussen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingPrepper

Reaction score
Hey everyone, :mug:

I am brewing my second batch. It is a 7% Oatmeal stout. After a couple days my fermentation slowed way down and the kraussen was sticking to the sides. So in my infinite wisdom I gave the fermenter a few good swirls. My intention was to suspend the yeast and get a little more fermenting. However I mixed some of the kraussen back into the beer.:drunk:

I didn't think much of it, but today I was reading "How to Brew" by Palmer and see that mixing kraussen back in will cause off flavors. Im not painicking or anything. I am just curious what to expect from my mistake. Or if transferring to secondary would reduce the amount of off flavors I may have caused?:confused:

Thanks in advance you guys are great!:fro:

It probably won't make a difference, but if you're worried about it, you could cold crash and fine with gelatin or isinglass to make sure it doesn't make it into the finished beer.

Ok, so cold crashing would probably help? I have been looking into that. I have the basic concept, but not a tried and true method. I am assuming I just put fermenter in a place that is very cold for a few days to allow sediment to fall. After I cold crash I would have to move fermenter back upstairs or back inside.

BrewingPrepper said:
Ok, so cold crashing would probably help? I have been looking into that. I have the basic concept, but not a tried and true method. I am assuming I just put fermenter in a place that is very cold for a few days to allow sediment to fall. After I cold crash I would have to move fermenter back upstairs or back inside.

Yup, that's about it but you crash the beer prior to packaging for 1-3 days depending on how cold you can get it. The beer doesn't really need to warm up to package. If you bottle then place finished bottles at 70F for a few weeks, if you keg then just connect the CO2

Back