Advice: mash not producing head in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEUKRAINIAN

Reaction score
Hello, I have a slight issue with one of my mashes that I currently have in a carboy. This mash is a dark beer that I have had working for over a week already. It has not produced a head and seems to be working, as the bottom dwelling yeast is producing co2. I have tasted the malt at various stages and it has good flavor yet the mash has a hard to describe zest as "flat soda." This is the only way I could describe it.

Please advise. I will provide information as needed :)

By mash, do you mean wort?
Not all yeasts create a krousen (head).
Did you take a gravity reading before pitching yeast? What is the gravity now?
What was your recipe, method, and yeast type?

I suspect you need to work on terminology so that we can help. Check this: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/terms.php

All fermentations are different. It sounds like its working, and if its only just over a week its still young and not your "finished product". What yeast was it?

acidrain said:
By mash, do you mean wort?
Not all yeasts create a krousen (head).
Did you take a gravity reading before pitching yeast? What is the gravity now?
What was your recipe, method, and yeast type?

I suspect you need to work on terminology so that we can help. Check this: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/terms.php

Thank you. I do apologize my terminology is quite faulty at this time.

I will attempt to explain further. This recipe I received from a friend. It is attached to this message. I know they are very weak, but the end result should mproduce a chocolate flavor beer with wheat and notes of oats. I'm thinking this recipe is flawd.

The gravity I do not understand or why it is needed. I did not take this measurement with this first batch.

Yeast is dry ale yeast, bottom dwelling.

image-733793765.jpg

THEUKRAINIAN said:
Thank you. I do apologize my terminology is quite faulty at this time.

I will attempt to explain further. This recipe I received from a friend. It is attached to this message. I know they are very weak, but the end result should mproduce a chocolate flavor beer with wheat and notes of oats. I'm thinking this recipe is flawd.

The gravity I do not understand or why it is needed. I did not take this measurement with this first batch.

Yeast is dry ale yeast, bottom dwelling.

May I also add I made 5 gallons of this, double the recipe.

No base malt or extract?? If u didn't add any, that would be y there isn't any activity

dneubeck85 said:
No base malt or extract?? If u didn't add any, that would be y there isn't any activity

The recipe did not call for any. There is activity, but not a ton. Now, does a malt or extract needed for a beer?

Toss in 5 pounds of Light malt extract. Depends on how much space you have in the fermenter, but you could do a 6 gallon or 7 gallon batch. (Boil the extract in 1-2 gallons of good water).

This may save your batch.

Personally, I think you are better off spending the extra 5 dollars on yeast and 5 dollars on specialty grains, and just start over

agdoc04 said:
Toss in 5 pounds of Light malt extract. Depends on how much space you have in the fermenter, but you could do a 6 gallon or 7 gallon batch. (Boil the extract in 1-2 gallons of good water).

This may save your batch.

Personally, I think you are better off spending the extra 5 dollars on yeast and 5 dollars on specialty grains, and just start over

I want to save the batch, it does have a wonderful chocolate taste and I'm determined to keep it going. I will definitely try the light malt. I have about 2 gallons left in the carboy. If I have to, I'll siphon some off and add the malt

THEUKRAINIAN said:
Suggestions?

Hey sorry for the late response. Holidays + working night shift had me not checking back here.

Next time you make this maybe an ounce or so of a low alpha acid hop in your boil and boil for 60 minutes. Just to balance the malt sweetness. Maybe an ounce of east kent goldings?

Hey sorry for the late response. Holidays + working night shift had me not checking back here.

Next time you make this maybe an ounce or so of a low alpha acid hop in your boil and boil for 60 minutes. Just to balance the malt sweetness. Maybe an ounce of east kent goldings?

Yeah, ill give that a try after the mess gets done brewing. i will be unsubscribing from this thread and no longer monitoring it. Thanks guys!!

Back