Installing an airlock (noob question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hieron

Reaction score
Hi All - I've been thinking about trying my hand at brewing cider for a while and I'm finally researching and about to buy some supplies. I've decided to go w/ plastic buckets for fermenters for ease of cleaning and safety (I've got 3 kids under 5 and my wife would flip out at the prospect of a giant glass bottle falling/shattering on one of them lol).

Anyway a guy on craigslist near me is selling 5-gallon food-grade buckets w/ rubber-sealed lids for $2 each, which seems like a pretty sweet deal. The only thing I'd have to do is add a hole for an airlock. My thought was just to drill a hole in the lid and put one of THESE in it...would this work? Is there a better option? Thanks for any info; take it easy.

Mike

I work at a restaurant were I can take buckets with sealed rubber lids. IV done several batches like that. I just drill a hole a little smaller than the airlock press it in so it's snug and for good measure I use some of that tape they use to seal pipes around the top of the hole were the neck of the airlock is. As long as you sanitize it all you'll be fine

Back