First Time Hard Cider Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaignum88

Reaction score
Pretty quick question. Around 5pm on Sunday I put together a batch of cider according to a recipe I found. I made sure the cider i used had no preservatives that would inhibit yeast growth, sterilized everything as necessary, and had my OG right where I wanted it.

I was thinking my airlock would be rolling by now but I've seen zero bubbles. If I put my ear next to the container I definitely hear fizzing going on in the chamber so I think I'm alright, but would have thought it would produce enough CO2 that atleast some would escape from the chamber.

Am I just being impatient? 5:30pm today will be 48 hours since I added the yeast.

EC-1118 yeast, fermented around 72 degrees. I hear it fizzing away still, I'm doing a 4 gallon run in a 5 gallon paint bucket. I thought this thing was going to be airtight as it has a rubber gasket lining the top of the bucket. However, the way I did my airlock may be allowing air out around the base.

You're probably just fine. Just because your airlock isnt moving doesnt mean fermentation isnt going just fine. As long as its covered with CO2, you wont have any problems. The ferment temp is a tich high, but you should still produce some perfectly fine cider. Check out the cider forum for a LOT of info, if this is your first one, do not expect it to taste like most american store bought ciders. It will dry out nearly completely unless you kill off the yeast before it does so. If you want a sweet cider, you have to do that or backsweeten with either more juice at the time of consumption, or with unfermentable sugars (stevia works) before bottling.

My first cider had no airlock activity and turned out great. My first beer had no airlock activity and turned out just fine. I think I got better at affixing the bucket lids because everything I have fermented since then has had airlock activity.

I use ec-1118 a lot and I find it to be a slow fermentor at standard pitch rates. The proof will be on the pudding. Be patient and after 7 days ( if you want it dry) check spg.

Back