skin on wort after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odin_Brews

Reaction score
I brewed BM's Black Pearl Porter yesterday and while chilling the wort it developed this kind of skin on top, like fat in milk for example. Anyway I skimmed it off with a sanitized strainer and Im not concerned about the beer really (it's bubbling away). It's just bothering me, Ive seen that before, any thoughts as to what or why?

Cheers

I get that every once in a while, too, sometimes during the boil (or if boil briefly subsides). Typically with darker beers, ie, just happened two days ago with my frankenstout.

I've never had a problem with it, always just seen it as a "huh, that's funny." Never skimmed it, never seen/tasted anything strange as a result, but I'd be interested to know what's up with it.

If it's during the boil it's the "hot break" material and if during the chill it's the "cold break" material. Basically both will settle out without much problem.

It's not hot or cold break, and doesn't settle to the bottom of the kettle with cooling like breaks tend to. The beer is fermenting like a beast at the moment and Im sure it's fine, more of an academic question really....had to pack the fermenter up with ice to cool her down! first ferment ive had where wort temps rose up to 8 degrees higher than ambient air temp

Odin_Brews said:
It's not hot or cold break, and doesn't settle to the bottom of the kettle with cooling like breaks tend to. The beer is fermenting like a beast at the moment and Im sure it's fine, more of an academic question really....had to pack the fermenter up with ice to cool her down! first ferment ive had where wort temps rose up to 8 degrees higher than ambient air temp

Do you use Irish moss or whirfloc? If not it could be proteins that did not coagulate out and settle, just a thought.

I did not use irish moss as I usually do. I agree it must be some proteins, perhaps something from the darker grains.

I get that every once in a while, too, sometimes during the boil (or if boil briefly subsides). Typically with darker beers, ie, just happened two days ago with my frankenstout.

I've never had a problem with it, always just seen it as a "huh, that's funny." Never skimmed it, never seen/tasted anything strange as a result, but I'd be interested to know what's up with it.

what is this Frankenstout you speak of?

Haha, the beer I described in my thread "Irish Ale No Start."

Basically, I made two batches of a dry Irish stout without any base malt (idiot move in which I subbed brown malt in for MO...twice), then used those two batches as the brewing liquor for a batch of 12 lb MO.

It's....something... It went like crazy for the first 2 days, seems to be hovering around 1.040 right now. That wouldn't surprise me, would imply that the stuff in the liquor didn't convert. I was hoping that the big batch of MO would have enough diastatic power to convert the starches in the false batches. If it didn't work...oh well. I'll have a decently fermented, carb-heavy, stoutlike beer. Definitely not what I was going for, but that's what I get for making changes willy nilly and ignoring science.

Back