DIPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyy

Reaction score
Muntons Connoisseurs IPA Bitter 1.8kg
Dry Wheat Malt 500grms
Light Malt 1.75kgs

60min
Centennial 10grms
Chinook 25grms
Simcoe 25grms

15min
Centennial 20grms
Simcoe 25grms
Amarillo 25grms

5min
Chinook 5grms
Centennial 10grms
Simcoe 15grms
Amarillo 25grms

yeast safale us05

dry hop
Amarillo 25grms
Simcoe 15grms
Centennial 25grms
Chinook 15grms

Any comments would be appreciative as I'm going to brew this beer for awhile with tweaks till its perfect! then add some carafe 3 speciality grain effectively making a Black DIPA

I'm on my netbook, and not great with "grams" and "KGs", so it looks ok without knowing for sure how many grams are in an ounce. :D I would definitely cut the 60 minute hops, as you don't need that many for bittering. I'd use 1.5 ounces (no idea how many grams) total at 60 minutes.

There isn't any way to have 200+ IBUs, by the way. Sure it calculates to that, but you can't get that many hops oils into suspension (about 100 IBUs is the max) plus the human tongue can't discern anything above about 100 IBUs.

28 grams = 1 ounce

1 kg = 1000 grams

Bitter DME = 4#

Wheat DME = 1.1#

Light DME = 3.9#

60 mins is roughly 2 ounces and change

15 mins is roughly 2.5 ounces

5 mins is 1 gram under 2 ounces

and dry hop is right under 3 ounces

and to add the OG was 1.070 hoping to get it down to 1.008

that's probably not gunna happen. most extract is only 75-80% fermentable, so to get to 89% you're gunna need a good amount of simple sugar.

+1 to reducing the bittering

that's probably not gunna happen. most extract is only 75-80% fermentable, so to get to 89% you're gunna need a good amount of simple sugar.

+1 to reducing the bittering

well the OG hydrometer reading was 1.070 and i have been getting the FG past 1.008 regularly, so going by the readings it should be around 8.5% and 9% in the bottle.

i have been getting the FG past 1.008 regularly, so going by the readings it should be around 8.5% and 9% in the bottle.

you've been getting fg's that low from 70? i didn't even think that was possible with just extract. i would have assumed this would be finishing around 16

It's true mate, I had it once at 1.003 using the same yeast and extract. Maybe the hydrometer is reading out.. but it all ways had weighed the same as when I bought it! Hahaha the only time it didn't go below 1.015 was when I brew a 16% triple IPA.. which I am dumping tomorrow from heavy galaxy hoping in the 60 min boil.

i dunno how thats possible, but thats incredible. how are you able to get such high attenuation out of extract?
are you sure your hydrometer is accurate? i dunno how you could possibly get 90% attenuation on a 16% brew with just extract unless you were using beano.

nah no beano.. with the last i doubled the yeast, something like 25gms or just under an oz. with this brew I'm going to dry hop with galaxy.

Updated....................
Briess CBW - 1.5kg Golden Light LME
Briess CBW - 1.5kg Sparkling Amber LME
325grms Wheat DME
350grms Dextrose
SG 1.045
Safale - US05

Hops
7grms Centennial - 60min
7grms Simcoe - 60min
1grm Chinook - 60min
----
50grms Centennial - 10mins
50grms Simcoe - 10mins
24grms Chinook - 10mins
----
24grms Chinook - 0mins
----
100grms Centennial - Dry hopped 1 week

doubling yeast wont get you more attenuation. I've made roughly 10 all extract batches, never did i once get it past 80% attenuation. I was always matching what mr malty recommended to pitch while keeping ferm temps in the low to mid 60's (first 2 at 70 and same results). It didnt matter if i was using briess or muntons... The highest i ever got was 79.89% (6 weeks ago!). I've tried double pitching, i tried 1.5 pitching... same thing every time. No way you're getting that low of a fg.

Back