How far vertically will a 3-5 gallon per min transfer pump move beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DlALTONE

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a 20 gallon fermenter, but it is 28 inches tall. If I have the transfer pump at the top of that fermenter, will an average homebrew self priming pump, have enough power to pick the beer up 28 inches to the pump? Also will using a transfer pump aerate my beer much?

Here is a link to the fermenter I am look at purchasing
http://www.petco.com/product/14938/Gamma-Vittles-Vault-Pet-Food-Container.aspx

I'm thinking that you might have priming issues. (using a march or similar). If you locate the inlet of the pump below your kettle, the pump should pump 28" of head no prob.

@Rondacker
I will be getting a March for my kettle. But to transfer from my fermenter to the serving keg, I will be using a transfer pump that is self priming. Do you think I can self prime from 30ish vertical inches? Thanks again

@StokedBrew
It's food grade and air tight. It is marketed for many uses, this particular link was from Petco because it's the cheapest I can find it online. Petco just slaps an animal food sticker on there. In fact, you can even find these online with the premade airlock hole and attached spigot. I don't think it will be a big deal.

@Rondacker
I will be getting a March for my kettle. But to transfer from my fermenter to the serving keg, I will be using a transfer pump that is self priming. Do you think I can self prime from 30ish vertical inches?
Which pump are you considering? Do you have a link to it?

Which pump are you considering? Do you have a link to it?

+1, we need to see the pump specs before this question can be answered.

In general, can what you are proposing be done? Yes.

However, it would be dependent on the pump chosen.

an average homebrew self priming pump

was unaware of such a thing.

+1 to what exact pump you are talking about.

I am thinking you should reconsider fermenting beer in a pet food container.
its the same plastic as used in many other plastic fermentors. why shouldnt he use it? many people use those exact same things.

Its the Super Transfer Pump w pre filter. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/super-transfer-pump-with-pre-filter.html

I am not sure about this pump though. I cannot find any reviews on this anywhere. Anyone have any thoughts on this pump? Any other recommendations?
No info provided. It is a wine pump. The question about it that hits me is: Is that pump a magnetic drive unit or does it have the motor shaft going directly through the housing into the impeller? If it is the latter - you do not want to use it in your brewery.

Oh - and another bit of info that I did discover: It is no longer manufactured.

Good luck.

doesnt look mag-drive to me, or even impeller at all. that head looks like a diaphragm pump or something. impeller-type pumps (of this size) cant push 45psi, and are almost never self priming.

Also will using a transfer pump aerate my beer much?
unless the lines are flushed with CO2 every time first, then yes it will.

i would probably look for some other way to do this.

@Audger any other recommendations for transfering from the fermenter to the serving keg without causing aeration?

Thanks again

Back