Fermentating Stopped After 3 Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcgpete

Reaction score
This is our first time brewing and me and a friend are trying the AHS Summit IPA. We used 2 packs of wyeast 1056 ad the brewvint fuel. We pitched the yeast and got it all sealed up Saturday afternoon. Sunday it was bubbling pretty rapidly. Monday afternoon it had slowed to about half of the rate, then today (Tuesday) it has stopped completely. The directions say to keep it in the primary fermenter 5-7 days. Any help on what's up? Is it messed up or did the double pitching/fuel speed up the process that much?

Thanks!

It sounds like the bulk of the fermentation is over but I would not remove it from the yeast just yet. Even after you stop seeing bubbling in the air lock, fermentation is still going on. Additionally, the yeast are cleaning up some by products of the fermentation process that can cause off flavors.

I assume that you are using a bucket to ferment in. There's nothing wrong with using a bucket but if you were using glass, you would still be able to see movement in the beer where your yeast is hard at work.

Bottom line, leave it at least 7 days. I have an IPA in my fermentation chamber that is on day 13. I'm just about the check to see how close I am to hitting my final gravity.

Ya, spenca99's got you beat! I've had plenty of beers that stopped bubbling in a few days, but it didn't necessarily mean they were done fermentitillating. You want the same gravity reading 3 days apart before you know it's done fermenting.

We took a reading earlier and it's right at what appears to be 1.010-1.015. This recipe calls for starting at 1.072 and ending up at 1.015. We added water til we got to 1.070, so it looks like we're already there pretty much. Now granted, this is using a beginner's kit with just an OK hydrometer. I figure I should leave it til late Wed night or even Thurs night til moving to the carboy. It surely can't hurt, can it?

Back