Netflix Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaner

Reaction score
Someone mentioned netflix in another thread and I needed to go on a rant in order to vent some built up frustration so I figured I'd start a new thread. I signed up for netflix with their free trial period and really liked it. I could get the movies that I wanted, pretty much as fast as I could watch them. My free one month trial ended and I figured I would go ahead and keep doing it because I enjoy coming home from work, throwing in a movie, cracking open a brew, and just relaxing. I then realized how they get you to subscribe. As soon as you're done with your free trial (where they try to get you hooked), all of the new release movies stop coming and have what netflix calls "a very long wait". I've been trying to get district 9, inglourious bastards, family guy dark side, 9, angels and demons, and four christmases (GF wants to watch it not me) since they were released. Four christmases was released on DVD around thanksgiving and I still haven't gotten it yet. Does anyone know if Blockbuster's service is any better? I have heard they have less of an overall selection, but can you get the new releases any faster than Netflix? Thanks for letting me vent.

i just started netflix around xmas and i've enjoyed it so far. but i stream everything on my xbox for the most part.

I have noted another friend saying it takes foreverrrr to get anything thats a new release.

i havent had problems. im in a heavily populated philly area and if you notice where you return your movies to, you'll see that they are regional. i think the philly area probably has a ton of movies on stock at any given time because i havent had any issues. however, the movies you can stream through your tv suck. the selection is pathetic.

Someone mentioned netflix in another thread and I needed to go on a rant in order to vent some built up frustration so I figured I'd start a new thread. I signed up for netflix with their free trial period and really liked it. I could get the movies that I wanted, pretty much as fast as I could watch them. My free one month trial ended and I figured I would go ahead and keep doing it because I enjoy coming home from work, throwing in a movie, cracking open a brew, and just relaxing. I then realized how they get you to subscribe. As soon as you're done with your free trial (where they try to get you hooked), all of the new release movies stop coming and have what netflix calls "a very long wait". I've been trying to get district 9, inglourious bastards, family guy dark side, 9, angels and demons, and four christmases (GF wants to watch it not me) since they were released. Four christmases was released on DVD around thanksgiving and I still haven't gotten it yet. Does anyone know if Blockbuster's service is any better? I have heard they have less of an overall selection, but can you get the new releases any faster than Netflix? Thanks for letting me vent.

This is an isolated incident not reflective of Netflix. I have had no such problems at any time in the 6 years I have subscribed. 100% fill rate. There is no hook to get you in so they can screw you.
In addition, when this happens it is no different than going to a brick and mortar store and finding a blank shelf.

It has nothing to do with your trial expiring. Netflix's priority queuing methods have been WELL publicized (and argued) for years. Heavy users have a longer wait. I've got many of the same movies at the top of my queue right now and they're all available now or "short wait".

I haven't had issues with getting DVD's - generally they are in stock. As for instant streaming video, it seems that they have removed a bunch of good old movies that I had in my queue recently ... BUT I have seen a bunch more classic TV, like SNL full seasons from the 1st season on... a full Monty Python TV series... and Heros, Lost, the Office etc...

But I may cancel soon, as we seem to be using RedBox more and more.

Blockbuster is a step ahead just for the fact that you have a brick and mortar behind them and can go into the store and exchange movies. They still have the problem with getting the new releases but at least you can go into the store and try and get them.

Another option that I haven't tried, but seems to be up to date is RedBox.

I get all of my movies really quick. Infact I have received a lot of the ones on your list.

I've found redbox almost as bad.

When a new movie is released, it seems like your local redbox only gets in a few copies and is always out of stock when you want them, yet I see that they have a copy of "Big Mama's House" available...in spite of the fact that it's 1) old and 2) crappy.

They all suck. I'm cancelling my netflix account too.

You should check out your library. The one down the street from me has a reserve list for movies. They send you an email to come pick it up when it's your turn and they get just about every new movie. If you have to wait weeks for some of them you might as well get them for free.

you just have to know how to play. I put new releases on my que long before they are released and almost always get them the week they come out. I stack my que so anything with a wait (or yet to be released) is at the top, so my first available disc is usually ten or so selections deep. Has never been a problem. I am a heavy user with a 6 year history and a multi hundred deep que. Yes, they weight users, yes, it's annoying, but if you learn how to play their system it can work for you.

I've never had a long wait with Netflix?

I wish Netflix would get movies I have in Queue though. Like Born Rich they still haven't bought.

Blockbuster is a step ahead just for the fact that you have a brick and mortar behind them and can go into the store and exchange movies. They still have the problem with getting the new releases but at least you can go into the store and try and get them.

Not here! They are all out of business.

NETFLIX has done GREAT for us.

We get 6 movies a month on the 3 at a time unlimited plan, so by no means are we burning it up, but there are no delays, no problems.

I like netflix just fine and I like it even more since they started streaming to PS3. However, if you like your new releases you have to throttle your usage or they will do it for you. Basically, the refuse to run on a money losing model by shipping more than say 3 discs per week per user. If you get discs, watch them/or rip them and they receive them the very next day, they will delay shipping the next ones for one day. If this pattern stacks up over a few cycles, new releases start going short/long/very long on you. In that regard, they reward light users. For sure, no one really knows the exact algorithms they use, but it certain that they throttle. They lost a class action and their policy has been updated on the site. Look at cheezydemon's usage. That's the kind of user netflix wants so they reward that behavior. 2x your at a time plan per month is nothing. I sometimes run 3-5 times my 2-out plan for like 10 discs a month and when I do, new releases become old releases by the time I get them.

I like netflix just fine and I like it even more since they started streaming to PS3. However, if you like your new releases you have to throttle your usage or they will do it for you. Basically, the refuse to run on a money losing model by shipping more than say 3 discs per week per user. If you get discs, watch them/or rip them and they receive them the very next day, they will delay shipping the next ones for one day. If this pattern stacks up over a few cycles, new releases start going short/long/very long on you. In that regard, they reward light users. For sure, no one really knows the exact algorithms they use, but it certain that they throttle. They lost a class action and their policy has been updated on the site. Look at cheezydemon's usage. That's the kind of user netflix wants so they reward that behavior. 2x your at a time plan per month is nothing. I sometimes run 3-5 times my 2-out plan for like 10 discs a month and when I do, new releases become old releases by the time I get them.

I kind of had a feeling that this might be why it's happening. I pretty much watch the movie the same day I get it and then it's in the mailbox the next morning. With that said I'm clearing my queue tonight and cancelling my subscription. If they advertise unlimited rentals then that's exactly what it should be. Not... unlimited rentals unless we think you're renting too much so we won't send you the movies you want to see until we start making more money off of you...... that's complete bs. Do you know any of the details for that lawsuit that was brought up against them? Guess I'm going to start doing the redbox thing again because they have it now where you can reserve the movie online so when you go to the redbox you know that it's going to be there.

I figured out that I could just throw some older movies that I really wanted into the mix and started getting the movies pretty well. I still have long waits, but I could really care less. All of a sudden though I just got Harry Potter, Julie and Julia and Terminator Salvation. Not the newest of the new, but it doesn't kill me. I like watching TV shows that are discs and discs long on the PS3 streaming. Works like a charm and no waiting.

I figured out that I could just throw some older movies that I really wanted into the mix and started getting the movies pretty well. I still have long waits, but I could really care less. All of a sudden though I just got Harry Potter, Julie and Julia and Terminator Salvation. Not the newest of the new, but it doesn't kill me. I like watching TV shows that are discs and discs long on the PS3 streaming. Works like a charm and no waiting.

I'm with you there. If I really want to see a movie I'll see it in the theater.

It's sad when piracy is more convenient and better quality than legitimate corporations.

I think it's piracy that may be driving netflix.

If you don't keep them long enough to even realistically watch them, they probably figure you are ripping them.

Netflix rocks!

I get my movies in a timely manner. I also have my tv hooked up the the pc so I can watch all of those movies while I'm waiting for the DVD's to come in. A couple of DVD's have been lost in the mail, they sent a new one out ASAP no questions asked.

I don't even have cable anymore. Between netflix and sites like hulu.com, I'm all covered.

im a very heavy user... and I always get everything I want the day I want. so I dunno what people always complain about!

I kind of had a feeling that this might be why it's happening. I pretty much watch the movie the same day I get it and then it's in the mailbox the next morning. With that said I'm clearing my queue tonight and cancelling my subscription. If they advertise unlimited rentals then that's exactly what it should be. Not... unlimited rentals unless we think you're renting too much so we won't send you the movies you want to see until we start making more money off of you...... that's complete bs. Do you know any of the details for that lawsuit that was brought up against them? Guess I'm going to start doing the redbox thing again because they have it now where you can reserve the movie online so when you go to the redbox you know that it's going to be there.

Your point was the exact subject of the lawsuit. They advertise unlimited and then apply limiting techniques without disclosure. The settlement was lame.. All users got a one disc upgrade to whatever their plan was for one month and they clarified their policy to include a ambiguous statement that they may limit heavy users in some way. Even given my objection simply on principal, it is now in the fine print just like every other loophole and I still fee like I'm getting my money worth. I like the streaming so much that I bought my parents a Roku.com box for xmas.

I think it's piracy that may be driving netflix.

If you don't keep them long enough to even realistically watch them, they probably figure you are ripping them.

I was referring more to how torrent downloads are higher quality, better selection, and free, albeit illegal for copyrighted material. Anyone willing to break the law by copying Netflix disks would probably just download the disk image for free instead of paying Netflix.

It takes more work but if you only keep 2-3 movies in your queue, they've GOT to send you one of those. We used to do that during high-usage phases and it defeated their priority system reasonably well. They do start e-mail bombing you to add more movies to your queue!

I love Netflix.

To get the new releases make sure you return movies to them so they arrive on Monday.

What really threw me off for a while was when Netflix started shipping on Saturdays.

Wish I could take advantage of streaming but not possible on on HughesNet with the download limit.

I watch a lot of movies, watching one right now.

Currently my queue has 482 movies.

We're long term subscribers to netflix. What we found was when we had the most expensive package, we got all the new stuff all the time. When we had to cut back, suddenly we were not getting any of the newer movies. Even when we stacked the queue.

So we cut back to the base level. We get certain movies from netflix and watch instant stuff, but if we really want it, we either get it from redbox or go to blockbuster and physically pick it up. Then we take it off the netflix list.

Even redbox has drawbacks. I got a code for a free disc from redbox, but you have to use it at a machine, you can't reserve the movie ahead on the computer with the freebie code, go figure!

It takes more work but if you only keep 2-3 movies in your queue, they've GOT to send you one of those. We used to do that during high-usage phases and it defeated their priority system reasonably well. They do start e-mail bombing you to add more movies to your queue!

Genius. I might have to delete 300 titles and try it.

I was referring more to how torrent downloads are higher quality, better selection, and free, albeit illegal for copyrighted material. Anyone willing to break the law by copying Netflix disks would probably just download the disk image for free instead of paying Netflix.

Well, there's a data trail if you download. Unless they have a bug in my kitchen, they won't know my PC is ripping a disc... hypothetically.

wow, i must be a netfilx retard, cuase I didnt know that they throttled your queue delivery like that.
damn gettin old suckz

I love Netflix. Unfortunately I haven't had as much time to watch movies recently so we dropped back to the 1-at-a-time unlimited plan. $10/month is worth it for a few discs and access to stream anything....

I don't watch too many mainstream ('popular') movies, and when I do want to see one I'm never in a desperate rush to get it. I've only had a couple titles on a really long wait. The worst? James Bond 'From Russia With Love' sat at the top of my queue for a couple months. 45+ year old movies typically aren't in that much demand. Strange.

OP: Get a library card... seriously.

I have already watched all the movies you listed FREE from our public library.

I'm a big fan of netflix. I usually don't expect to get the most-anticipated new release on the day it's released, however. The selection is great, there are hundreds of movies I've wanted to see and now they're in my queue. I think you just have to be patient with the popular new releases. I always hated going to an actual video store and dealing with their limited selection... and the new releases seemed to be out of stock for much longer than with netflix. I think it's a very good company for what I'm looking for.

Latest posts

Back