Nerd thread- Solaris exp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Hey all, I got a quick question. I am wondering how can I go about learning Solaris administration. It seems like a lot of employeers are wanting people with Solaris admin experiance. In my past job, I was a sys admin for a HP-UX system and I considered myself to be OK at my job. I also managed some Mandrake linux but it was pretty minimal. If I just download and install Solaris on an old computer and messed with it for a while would that give me the skills that an employer is looking for? Thanks.

You can download Solaris x86 for your PC and start messing with it. Here's a cheatsheet between the two to act as a rosetta stone.

IMO, a unixy admin is a unixy admin first, and the particular OS flavor comes second. It's like learning your second programming language. Most of the hard work was done on the first one...

Hey all, I got a quick question. I am wondering how can I go about learning Solaris administration. It seems like a lot of employeers are wanting people with Solaris admin experiance. In my past job, I was a sys admin for a HP-UX system and I considered myself to be OK at my job. I also managed some Mandrake linux but it was pretty minimal. If I just download and install Solaris on an old computer and messed with it for a while would that give me the skills that an employer is looking for? Thanks.

I took the Sun Solaris Admin II course through Sun Microsystems. I would check their web site for the nearest training center to you. Some Junior Colleges offer the courses as well.

Hmmm, I was looking at those courses. What did you think of it? I bet I could even get my company to pony up the funds for that with some TA.

Going from HP UNIX to Solaris isn't a big deal. Downloading x86 and working with it is a good idea. Companies tend to want paid experience, but telling them "That's what I use at home" can cloud people's minds.

I've taken Solaris courses. Seriously not impressed. They tend to teach obscure concepts that you'll never use. The courses are strictly for obtaining Solaris certification and I never worked for a company that cared even slightly about them. All they wanted was hands-on experience.

Back