Corn Syrup instead of Rice Syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinck

Reaction score
Hello,

Due to limited availability of Rice Syrup where I am, I'm tempted to attempt the St. Lou Honey Lager substituting corn syrup instead of rice syrup.

If I keep a watch on my OG as I do this, can anyone see any concerns of this batch going completely south on me?

Cheers.

No, I wouldn't substitute corn syrup for rice syrup. Corn syrup usually contains additives like vanilla and salt.

From Alternative Brewing Sugars

Rice syrup: Instead of being made from malted barley, rice syrup is made from malted rice. The resulting syrup has a high concentration of glucose, with smaller amounts of maltose and fructose. Unlike malt, rice has very little inherent flavor, and a beer heavy in rice syrup will have a lighter color and a lighter, crisper flavor. Most of the commercial American pilsners such as Budweiser use a significant quantity of rice syrup to brew their beer.

Corn sugar: Dextrose: Probably the most common of the sugars we'll be discussing, corn sugar is made up almost entirely of glucose/dextrose. It will ferment completely, contributing more alcohol content than a similar amount of malt extract, and will lighten the body and flavor of the brew. Corn sugar will also ferment very rapidly, and will thus shorten the time your beer will need to spend fermenting. The most common use of corn sugar is as a priming sugar during the bottling process.

Edit: just realized I put the corn sugar part of that link into my post, it actually has no corn syrup part there.

A mix of 80% dextrose and 20% honey will be relatively close. Not exactly the same, but close.

Many Asian markets carry rice syrup.

Back