World Beer Fest Raleigh, NC 4/26/08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olllllo said:
I'm all about maximizing my time!
I might even have enough time to do a Brewery tour of some sort on Sunday if such a thing is possible.

Big Boss has scheduled tours that probably don't line up with that Sunday. I bet if you emailed or called the guys at Duck Rabbit, they might be willing/able show you around. Good beer guys out there.

I have an extra that I want to offer up here first. I will take cash or maybe trade.

pm me if you are in need
-joe

9/9 said:
Big Boss has scheduled tours that probably don't line up with that Sunday. I bet if you emailed or called the guys at Duck Rabbit, they might be willing/able show you around. Good beer guys out there.

Duck Rabbit is in Farmville, which is a solid 1 and a half hour drive. Then again if you flying several hundred miles, driving a few more couldn't hurt. Carolina Brewing Company has tours every Saturday, but if you're going to the afternoon session, it will not work out.

It's going to be a rough weekend. Hillsborough Hike on Friday, BeerFest Saturday, Final Exams on Monday, and I wanted to brew on Sunday....

I'll be at the night session for BeerFest, hope to see some homebrewers there.

MikeyP said:
Duck Rabbit is in Farmville, which is a solid 1 and a half hour drive. Then again if you flying several hundred miles, driving a few more couldn't hurt. Carolina Brewing Company has tours every Saturday, but if you're going to the afternoon session, it will not work out.

It's going to be a rough weekend. Hillsborough Hike on Friday, BeerFest Saturday, Final Exams on Monday, and I wanted to brew on Sunday....

I'll be at the night session for BeerFest, hope to see some homebrewers there.

It took me about about 1.5 hours to get there from Durham, so I bet you could do it from Raleigh (depending on what part of town you are in) in a bit more than an hour.

FYI: I went from being two tickets short to one ticket extra. (afternoon session)

PM me if you are interested. It will have to be a day-of exchange, because I have to first get the ticket from capntang and then re-sell it. :drunk:

This is me and kiddo at October WBF in Durham:
beerfest_1007.jpg

I should be in the same kilt or an olive drab green one. He'll likely be in the same position.

is that miller genuine draft in the can? No wonder you got sick!

Ah well, a good puking just makes more room for beer. It's your liver's way of telling you "Bring on another round!"

I had a wicked good time yesterday. Nice to see my old friends again, also nice to meet several new friends. Thanks to the Walkers for the gathering afterwards. Great time!

yes, good times until some girls stole my cups near the end! Of course, the event staff will just give you more cups if you ask for them, so that was kind of lame.

:drunk:

It was great seeing everyone, the fest was a blast.

Chad, Mrs Chad, Frink, Walker, olllllo, Mrs Nate, Boston
2445201947_eebc83c09f.jpg

I am eclipsing The Baron with my enormous head. Walker in blue to the right.
2446027922_2246fcb401.jpg

My head once again obscures one half of Nate. Boston is apparently Vogueing.
2446028110_52a97d4592.jpg

Also not pictured was nathan - (his SWMBO lad and kilt), capntanga and his ID foretting older brother, joebou4860 and his clan, who I had not met but randomly ran into and directed me to the Flying Sauser only to find out later that we know each other.

:) It was good to put faces to names. Hopefully we'll all see each other again soon! Or at least by the fall fest in Durham.

Our apologies for missing the after party. Did anyone get sick from the Flying Saucer food? I was fine but the wife got sick about an hour after the snacks at the Saucer.

It was awesome seeing everyone again.

Nate said:
Our apologies for missing the after party. Did anyone get sick from the Flying Saucer food? I was fine but the wife got sick about an hour after the snacks at the Saucer.

It was awesome seeing everyone again.

Your wife drank 273 shots of beer and you think she got sick because of the food?
:D

It was a great time, good to meet olllllo, Baron, Nate and Nathan. Thanks again to Walker, great after party with some awesome barbeque. And I woke and had a calendar with half nude girls in it!:rockin:

Boston said:
Your wife drank 273 shots of beer and you think she got sick because of the food?
:D

All I know is that she seemed fine (not drunk) and very rapidly became immobile/sick. And I think it was only 271 shots. :D

I'm home.

I had a great trip. The Walker-san dojo put out a great spread- Pulled pork, beans, brats. Thanks to Boston for taking me bottle shopping and lunch today.

So with those core GRABASS guys it's Always Something Special. You two really put the ASS in GRABASS.

Once again, I had a great time at the WBF.

Good to see olllllo, Nate, Joebou, Frink, Baron, Boston and Chad again, and good to meet capntang and his (allegedly) older brother.

I am looking forward to Durham in the fall (and this time I won't slack on getting my tickets too long.)

Special thanks to olllllo for bringing the magnet, house ale, and a bomber of Alaskan smoked porter. Damn, I loves me some porter....

Special thanks to Boston for providing the sausages and sides, and for rescuing my flat kegs with his CO2 tank.

-walker

We had a great time, too. Sorry about wussing out on the after-fest activities. Our daughter had plans that evening, so we'd promised that we would be home fairly early. Compounding the problem was that we didn't eat as much as we should have at the festival. I had been holding out for some of Ed Mitchell's barbecue from The Pit. They were supposed to be in the food area. We never could find them, so by the end of the afternoon we were starving. We ended up taking the kids out to an early dinner and talking about the rest of you behind your backs :p

It was great to see the GRABASS folks again and meet Baron Von Bee Gee, Nate and ollllo.

Best beer of the festival, in my opinion, was Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja, a sour Flanders red. Holy crap that was good. We need to look into a GRABASS oak barrel purchase and group brew day to make some.

Chad

Man, what a busy weekend. Drove back to Wilmington at 7am Sunday morning to help the bro prepare for a small gathering at his place, and ended up getting dragged down to the Obama rally at 7am this morning.

I had a fantastic time, as did my (allegedly) older brother. :D

It was a pleasure meeting all of you, and thanks to Walker and his family for the fantastic hospitality and perfect post-festival food.

Now I'm left wondering which of the fall festivals I'll be able to swing.

Back