Market Research - What do you need, but can't build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rono73

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm taking a little poll...

I've been an All-Grain Brewer for about 10 years now, and I've never used the same config twice. Every batch is a Frankenstein of new equipment, impromptu corrections, and good intentions gone haywire. Luckily, no beer has ever been ruined.

I'm in the process of a career change, and since professional brewing is cost-prohibitive and low-paying (I've got kids to put through college), I want to produce brewing equipment for the homebrewer. While I have plenty of experience with my own equipment needs, I want to see what the world is looking for. If any of you want to chime in, please answer a few questions:

What part of the brewing process gives you the most trouble?
What piece of equipment is on your wishlist, but is too expensive to consider?
Do you have a specific need that you've never been able to find a product for?

I'm interested in helping find solutions for any part of the process, from recipe formulation through pouring it into the glass. Thanks for your help,
Ron

Mill motorizing kits. It seems like many of us want to do this, but we're all hodge-podging to get it done. Buying a garage door opener motor is the hot topic here in DIY forum right now.

a kit to do this would be great in my opinion. perhaps even work with MM or someone to offer a "complete kit".

I just picked up a motor, I'll have to make a mount of some kind, after adapting the garage door opener to accept a lovejoy, and then make it "pretty". I might have considered paying someone for all of that if I could have.

I am on a fairly tight budget so the more expensive pieces of equipment are getting assembled slowly over time. My next project will probably be a keezer.

I am using a corona style mill for my grain but would like a good roller mill. If you can come up with a way to get a full hopper version for $50 or less I would be first in line.

If I ever hit the jackpot an electric brewery would be in the works.

Other than these ramblings I have nothing constructive to offer.

A lot of people are building their own conicals with plastic sprayer equipment. I think a person could make a ton of dough building a plastic conical from the ground up and selling it at a fair price in comparison with the DIY sprayer style conicals.

I wish I could come up with something for you, but if my few years of brewing experience have taught me anything, most homebrewers like to build their own shtuff. If I were to point you in a direction, something to make cleaning easier. Easily the worst part of this hobby/obsession/lifestyle/addiction.

I made my own upsidedown keggle MLT valve arm but i think others can benefit from it.

32769d1314854867-bottom-drain-questions-mashtundrain.jpg

Your probem is going to be "scale"... some of the other manufacturers make other stuff and brewing equipment is justone of thier "lines".

So: they get their raw materials way cheaper than we can and have all the tooling to build stuff.

I am not saying don't try this but you need to find a niche market where you can actually make some money....

I mean, what ever you do someone might copy your idea and then you have competition...

Good Luck....

A 1500-1800 watt heat stick. They are inexpensive to make but risky to build yourself if you don't have the know how. There is a big gap in the market for them.

I myself and a lot homebrewers use the marshalltown heatstick from amazon. It is only 1000 watts and flickers on and off when it gets too hot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/MARSHALLTO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There is this option for a 1800 watt heater but it costs around 150-180 and is pretty hard now to find.
https://www.annapolishomebrew.com/p/1816/electric-brew-heater-15

If you could make a heat stick with 1500-1800 watts with a GFCI adapter it would help a lot of homebrewers that can't use propane or can only brew inside. I would imagine you can price it around 100 dollars and still have a lot of people ordering it.

Just my nickel minus three

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I wouldn't be let down when I posted this. Thanks for all of the input so far. I tend to focus on the more mechanical solutions, like the grain mill motors, but I really hate the sanitizing and cleanup part of the process.

As for cooling wort efficiently, you can go wrong with the garden hose CFC.

Circular heating elements similar to the new Blichmann Boil Coil without the Blichmann high price. The standard water heater elements position in the middle of the kettle limit using other equipment like a Hop Stopper, immersion chiller, etc.

Electric brewing equipment and small batch brewing equipment seem to be the areas that are most available to new innovative products.

Just remember how frugal a lot of people are, and that a lot of homebrewers like to tinker. They (we) like to make things, that is the root of this hobby. This means the products we buy are 1) things we can't/don't want to make, and 2) are a good value for what they are.

There is a segment that can, and does, buy bling, but I suspect the majority fit in the former description. I know I absolutely think about not so much price, but value when deciding to buy something.

What this really means is, unless there is already an efficiency built in to the manufacturing process, or an economy of scale, the narrow profit margins make this market risky.

Doongie has a good point. If i can make it i will... even if it's not cost effective in terms of time. $25 for a widget that will cost me $23 in materials, $xxx in new tools, and 29 hours? I'd rather make it!

$xxxx in new tools is too much for me though - TIG welder, etc.

+1 for the stainless autosiphon. With replaceable rubber pieces available.

+1 for the heatstick. With replaceable element.

Fermenter that measures gravity.

self-priming march pump

conical shaped brew pot (w/custom burner) and conical shaped mash tun.

stainless double walled vacuum sealed 0.5 gallon serving keg/pitcher with mini co2 hookup

software that manages ingredient inventories and recipes

hop plug/pellet making kit for the homebrewer

a better(smaller/simpler) counter pressure bottle filler

boil-over detector

"software that manages ingredient inventories and recipes" - like BeerSmith does?

How about a system like some local bars have where you have one tap and can dispense n number of kegs from it using a touchscreen interface (iPad, Android, etc)? Basically something like this: faucet (Perlick?) <- n-way, electronic valve <- n tubes <- n kegs. Software to keep track of what you have on tap and how much was poured, how much is left, etc.

DaleHair, I'm totally gonna do that transparent aluminum siphon when I get back from the 24th century. But seriously, I think when we all say we want a stainless steel auto-siphon, we're really asking for a siphon that can handle near-boiling temperature?

Grathan, I like the fermenter that measures gravity idea, that might be worth investigating.

Thanks again everyone, keep the ideas coming!

"software that manages ingredient inventories and recipes" - like BeerSmith does?

I have beersmith and end up using a spreadsheet instead. I mean the ability to separate ingredients by age, where purchased. when creating a recipe you should be able to say use these older hops first. Certain ingredients should be able to designate for certain recipe(not as general available ingredients). You should be able to look at your stockpile and see you have 10oz of centennial and yet 8oz are spoken for so to brew this unplanned batch I would need to order some by the 28th of next month or that red ale will be short.

, I think when we all say we want a stainless steel auto-siphon, we're really asking for a siphon that can handle near-boiling temperature?
!

I want stainless so I can run a brush through it without scratching it. I don't want to worry about breaking it by cramimng a hose on the end. Ideally some air-tight, sanitary quick disconnects would be an option as well.

Grathan, I like the fermenter that measures gravity idea, that might be worth investigating.
!

I think the biggest issue here is gonna be krausen. Some nano-scale super slick surface that lets the sticky stuff slide right off. Or perhaps a device that always stays entirely submerged.

I think some people should go back and read and see where you say "What do you need, but can't build?" and not "What do you want but are too cheap to spend money on?". If I were looking to start in this market I would look more towards a Blichmann business model where you can make an excellent product and be able to afford to stand behind it, rather than the "hey copy this for me!" stuff that so many people complain about on this forum.

There's always someone wanting a cheaper product - generally those are the ones to scream loudest when that product does not live up to the reputation of the better original product.

Good luck with whatever you do, but remember the words of Mike Rowe: "When your avocation becomes your vocation you get no vacation!"

I have beersmith and end up using a spreadsheet instead. I mean the ability to separate ingredients by age, where purchased. when creating a recipe you should be able to say use these older hops first. Certain ingredients should be able to designate for certain recipe(not as general available ingredients). You should be able to look at your stockpile and see you have 10oz of centennial and yet 8oz are spoken for so to brew this unplanned batch I would need to order some by the 28th of next month or that red ale will be short.

Such software exists in many, many forms...used in manufacturing everyday around the world...it's called MRP (Manufacturing Resource Planning):D In any form you want from Excel based to SAP. Finding it for such a small scale though might be difficult.

You can do it with Beersmith, I do....simply take your inventory, then take your recipe and put it in the shopping cart and you will find what you are "short." Deduct from inventory when ever you have "Committed" or made the beer. Empty the shopping cart and do it again for the next brew or brews. Or simply keep adding recipes to the cart to see when you get a shortage. If you add one at a time, then you know which recipe is creating the shortage. And of course, whenever you buy something (purchase order receipt) you have to post it to inventory.....

Yeah, it would be nice if it "pegged" the requirement for you but that kind of software costs BIG $..... Go price a small business license for something like Fourth Shift, a pc based MRP system. And it does deduct everything so it's not time phased like real MRP....I always physically have more whirlfloc and hops than my inventory reads so you have to maintain accuracy in your recipes. And of course an annual physical inventory is mandated by the GAO :drunk:

Doesn't meet my requirement of "a fair price". $429 for a plastic conical makes no sense to me. I can get a stout for $539 and it is stainless steel. This is why I suggested this. If that was $75-$125, I think you would find a lot of people interested in it. What I am talking about is more like the Speidel fermenters in a conical shape; a 15G one of those goes for $65. Take that tank, leave the spigot in place for racking, change the mold so that it is conical at the bottom, add a dump valve, and you have what I am looking for ( as long as it is a lot cheaper than $400! ). Since it is plastic, you could even make an advanced model with an ability to run glycol through it. I would definitely go for something like that if the price was right!

My intention was to see what people had difficulty fabricating, and to basically see if there was an unmet need in the community that I could try to fill. But, that said, it's always good to hear every idea, even the goofy ones, and especially to hear from naysayers.

I would also like everything to be inexpensive, but that's never what I was looking for. As someone who works in a business and manufacturing environment, I know that customers won't pay for something they don't want, or something they feel is overpriced. While we try not to leave any money on the table, market pricing is fairer than you might think.

I like to build things, I like beer, and I like money. I'm gonna try and put all three of those things together and see what happens.

Any other crazy ideas?

A 1500-1800 watt heat stick. They are inexpensive to make but risky to build yourself if you don't have the know how. There is a big gap in the market for them.

I myself and a lot homebrewers use the marshalltown heatstick from amazon. It is only 1000 watts and flickers on and off when it gets too hot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/MARSHALLTO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There is this option for a 1800 watt heater but it costs around 150-180 and is pretty hard now to find.
https://www.annapolishomebrew.com/p/1816/electric-brew-heater-15

If you could make a heat stick with 1500-1800 watts with a GFCI adapter it would help a lot of homebrewers that can't use propane or can only brew inside. I would imagine you can price it around 100 dollars and still have a lot of people ordering it.

Just my nickel minus three

I'd pick one up for about that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Such software exists in many, many forms...used in manufacturing everyday around the world...it's called MRP (Manufacturing Resource Planning):D In any form you want from Excel based to SAP. Finding it for such a small scale though might be difficult.

You can do it with Beersmith, I do....simply take your inventory, then take your recipe and put it in the shopping cart and you will find what you are "short." Deduct from inventory when ever you have "Committed" or made the beer. Empty the shopping cart and do it again for the next brew or brews. Or simply keep adding recipes to the cart to see when you get a shortage. If you add one at a time, then you know which recipe is creating the shortage. And of course, whenever you buy something (purchase order receipt) you have to post it to inventory.....

Yeah, it would be nice if it "pegged" the requirement for you but that kind of software costs BIG $..... Go price a small business license for something like Fourth Shift, a pc based MRP system. And it does deduct everything so it's not time phased like real MRP....I always physically have more whirlfloc and hops than my inventory reads so you have to maintain accuracy in your recipes. And of course an annual physical inventory is mandated by the GAO :drunk:

If I used that at work and was familiar with it I might buy it for home. For now I think I'll stick with my 40 mouse clicks in excel for every batch brewed. If something was beer focused it could have community support (people updating online prices). Picture putting together a recipe and having software automatically spit out which online retailer puts your ingredients on your front doorstep the cheapest.

That stuff is awsome. I am going to spray my fishing waders with it. Then spray my phone. Then spray my truck. Then spray my dog. Then spray my shoes. Then spray my roof. I Can't wait to start spraying everything.

Edit: nevermind the sun uv destroys it in seconds. Oh well would have been a good invention

Trying to get this post back on track.

A double walled keg that, after boiling, I can hook up a hose and cool the wort by running water through the inside of the double wall. It would need to be stainless.

The bottom needs to be thick and not double walled.

It of course would need drains and sight glass.

hop plug/pellet making kit for the homebrewer

I have been trying to build this for a while now. The problem I am having is finding a way to get the pressure needed without a hydraulic cylinder. The leverage systems I have designed and built are just lacking in the pressure needed without a 6 foot solid steel handle. I can get the hops to pack very well but in no way are they in the pellet form I was looking for. Plugs yes! Pellets no....

Cheers
Jay

I have been trying to build this for a while now. The problem I am having is finding a way to get the pressure needed without a hydraulic cylinder. The leverage systems I have designed and built are just lacking in the pressure needed without a 6 foot solid steel handle. I can get the hops to pack very well but in no way are they in the pellet form I was looking for. Plugs yes! Pellets no....

Cheers
Jay

Almost everyone has a vehicle. What if it had something you drove a car tire up on?

Trying to get this post back on track.

A double walled keg that, after boiling, I can hook up a hose and cool the wort by running water through the inside of the double wall. It would need to be stainless.

The bottom needs to be thick and not double walled.

It of course would need drains and sight glass.

This could double as a steam-jacket for heating though these already might exist.

That stuff is awsome. I am going to spray my fishing waders with it. Then spray my phone. Then spray my truck. Then spray my dog. Then spray my shoes. Then spray my roof. I Can't wait to start spraying everything.

Edit: nevermind the sun uv destroys it in seconds. Oh well would have been a good invention

but since uv is bad for fermentor it would make a good spray for floating hydrometer no?

A precut and stamped, nuts-and-bolts brewing table or tier system (both) based on standard kettle sizes (including keggles) would be nice. I can't weld. Well, I can weld, but it looks like a bunch of damn pieces of metal chewing gum stuck everywhere.

I would rather pay to have a kit of sorts, with available options such as casters, shelves, and other attachments. It's easily scalable, and the materials on your end remain identical. I haven't seen anything similar to this.

To make enough money for a career change I am going to guess that you will need to make something that has parts that are either welded, CNC machined, laser cut, etc.

I think the only thing limiting most homebrewers is an abundance of tools (and big tools, which cost big money) and money itself. As many have mentioned, if we can do it ourselves, we will.

Good luck though, I will be really happy if I see "Vendor" under your name someday!

With that said, I'd like a plug-in, chilled conical fermenter and bright tank that isn't ridiculously expensive. Yes, I'm willing to set it up IKEA style.

Back