Saison Fermentation in Garage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photobrew

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if brewing an Amaris hop saison right now and praying that the garage will get be warm enough to let it ferment at the temp I've been seeing a lot of other homebrewers have been using. I am almost positive that my garage will hit 80 once spring/summer arrives here in New England. I've been wanting to do this for a while but the fermentation temp has been throwing me off. My garage I feel would be the best place for it, yes I know it isn't exactly the cleanest place for fermentation, but in case of a blow off, it's about as good as it gets for an option.

If anyone thinks that this will work, that would be awesome to hear your opinions, thanks for the help in advance.

:ban:

I'm trying to figure out if brewing an Amaris hop saison right now and praying that the garage will get be warm enough to let it ferment at the temp I've been seeing a lot of other homebrewers have been using. I am almost positive that my garage will hit 80 once spring/summer arrives here in New England. I've been wanting to do this for a while but the fermentation temp has been throwing me off. My garage I feel would be the best place for it, yes I know it isn't exactly the cleanest place for fermentation, but in case of a blow off, it's about as good as it gets for an option.

If anyone thinks that this will work, that would be awesome to hear your opinions, thanks for the help in advance.

:ban:

If your garage is in the 80's and the yeast wants 80's then it sounds like you'll be fine as long as the temp doesn't swing too low at night time. Even if it does you'll still end up with beer, that's for sure.

As a fellow New Englander, my concern would be temperature swings. If you want to ferment at 80 how do you account for the temperature changes at night or on hot days when the temp gets above 80? While the beer temp won't drop drastically overnight, there will still be swings one way or the other.

The old 1950's garage at my house can be 100 F when the outdoor temp is 80F, or like this past weekend when it was 60, the garage was 40! I know because I was in a t-shirt in the sun and then was freezing when I was in garage trying to fix the opener! But if you have an insulated garage, then you may not get those temp swings as bad.

As a fellow New Englander, my concern would be temperature swings. If you want to ferment at 80 how do you account for the temperature changes at night or on hot days when the temp gets above 80? While the beer temp won't drop drastically overnight, there will still be swings one way or the other.

The old 1950's garage at my house can be 100 F when the outdoor temp is 80F, or like this past weekend when it was 60, the garage was 40! I know because I was in a t-shirt in the sun and then was freezing when I was in garage trying to fix the opener! But if you have an insulated garage, then you may not get those temp swings as bad.

Thanks, for this post. Just what I needed a fellow NEer who knows the crazy conditions of the place we call home! My garage is unfortunately not insulated, but I'm sure throwing some blankets or whatever will help keep the temp where I want/need it.

Cheers!

I have made 2 high grav saisons in NJ in the past few months. Have got a good deal of esters with 3711 fermented into the low 70s. At 80+ you will love it!

photobrew said:
How do you do a water bath?

Get a large bin that will hold the vessel and enough water to get close to the level of the beer-swamp cooler

Fill with water to insulate the beer. If you need it colder you can drop frozen water bottles into the water and swap them out as necessary:)

Latest posts

Back