Two differnt beers from the same brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch of an IPA and because I don't have a way to ferment 10 gallons in one fermenter I split it between 2 ale pails.
Last night I racked them over to my carboys to clear and dryhop and I have then sitting side by side and they look like tow different beers. One is a LOT lighter in color then the other.
What could cause this?

I did not take a gravity reading because I broke the hydromitor when I gave it a shake to get some of the starsan off it. :mad: Nor did I taste it. but both smelled GREAT.. 5 oz of amarillo hops 2 oz dryhoping now. :rockin:

If they are extract batches and you didn't give them a good stir before putting them in the buckets, some of the extract could have settled to the bottom. It is possible you poured out weaker wort off the top of the kettle, ad stronger darker wort from the bottom of the kettle. When you go to bottle, you should re-mix the two beers, hopefully this will give you similar results.

Donasay said:
If they are extract batches and you didn't give them a good stir before putting them in the buckets, some of the extract could have settled to the bottom. It is possible you poured out weaker wort off the top of the kettle, ad stronger darker wort from the bottom of the kettle. When you go to bottle, you should re-mix the two beers, hopefully this will give you similar results.

Sorry, I should have stated that it was an AG brew and pulled thru a CFC. The first pail filled is the lighter one of the two.

Are the hydro readings different? You can probably blend them when you bottle or keg and end up with something close to what you were aiming for originally.

rdwj said:
Are the hydro readings different? You can probably blend them when you bottle or keg and end up with something close to what you were aiming for originally.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you're concerened about the color blend them in the bottling bucket or when you keg.

Possibly the first fermenter had less hop debris & few grain particles. Most likely they will be the same by the time they finish clearing.

david_42 said:
Possibly the first fermenter had less hop debris & few grain particles. Most likely they will be the same by the time they finish clearing.

I have my hops in a very fine strainer bag for the boil so I don't get much hops into the fermenter at all. Maybe I got more of the hot break in there along with the cold break? Thus making it look different?

I will see what they look like in two weeks when I keg them. If they are still different then I will mix them 50/50 in the kegs.

One is probably just a little more cleared than the other. You know how beer starts looking darker as particulates settle out.

Splitting batches between two fermenters is a perfect time to try one dryhop vs. another or trying two different yeasts. It's the only easy way to isolate the results from one single variable.

Bobby_M said:
One is probably just a little more cleared than the other. You know how beer starts looking darker as particulates settle out.

Splitting batches between two fermenters is a perfect time to try one dryhop vs. another or trying two different yeasts. It's the only easy way to isolate the results from one single variable.

hmm, good idea... Maybe I'll keg one and the other drop another oz of hops in there for another two weeks... God I love hops.. :drunk:

I have done the exact same thing with 10 gallon batches taking out 5 in one fermenter, and then 5 in another. I think they turn out close to the same, and it has something to do with the amount of stuff floating from the beginning and end of siphoning. I now fill half of the first fermenter, and then fill the other one up, and top off the first one. It seems to even them out quite a bit.

I think I'd be tempted to not mix and see if there's a detectable difference in the finished product - at least a few bottles of each.

Latest posts

Back