Fermentation going nuts! Any tricks to calm it down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelbowen

Reaction score
Last night I brewed my second batch of homebrew :mug: which is an Irish Red Ale, it was also my first experience with dry yeast as the sweet stout that is currently in primary was liquid yeast (And didn't go all that well)

This time everything went perfectly and sanitization was top priority! But when I checked on the batch this morning fermentation was going CRAZY! The krausen was making its way to the neck and before I knew it was filling the airlock and bubbling out like crazy! I wrapped a towel around the carboy to catch any potential blow off and put some toilette paper around the airlock to catch the bubbling.

Is there any trick to this stage? Can I calm it down any or are my only options to use a blowoff tube? Also this is a 6G not a 5G carboy so there was plenty of room to start.

Picture!
homebrew_krazy_krausen.jpeg

Well, the only thing you can really do is make sure it's not too warm, as the warmer it gets the faster it will go. And the faster it goes, the warmer it will get. So ensure the fermenter is under 72 degrees or so.

A 6 gallon carboy is pretty small for a 5 gallon batch, so you may want to use a blow-off tube if you don't have a bigger carboy or fermenter. You can rig that right away and that will help make sure you don't have a mess.

Stick a blow-off on that bad boy.

Also note that temps can easily get +10°F in the cargoy due to fermentation -- keeping temps under control will give you better beer and less violent fermentations.

You can cool it some - low 60's will slow the fermentation. If you are in the 70's or more that is the major problem.

But, Always start with a blowoff tube! If the airlock plugs the pressure will increase until it blows out the stopper spewing krausen all over the place.

I for one always start with a blowoff tube, I do not worry about losing some to the blow off, and I have never had to wash my ceiling.

It won't work in a carboy thats currently fermenting like that. But you can use Fermcap-S to reduce krausen (added right before or after yeast pitch). It works on most yeast strains I use except for the true top croppers (3787 for example).

Blowoff on this one would be a good idea. If that airlock gets clogged at all...at best you will blow the airlock and brew all over your ceiling. At worst the carboy will break/shatter/explode.

It won't work in a carboy thats currently fermenting like that. But you can use Fermcap-S to reduce krausen (added right before or after yeast pitch). It works on most yeast strains I use except for the true top croppers (3787 for example).

If you are a stickler about FDA warnings, use FermCap AT. Fermcap S is silicone-based and the FDA has issued warnings that silicone should be filtered out before consumption.

Thanks guys! I just hooked up the blowoff tube, this is a far cry from the fermentation issue I had with the sweet stout. Though now I wonder if the stout will turn out alright.

Thanks guys! I just hooked up the blowoff tube, this is a far cry from the fermentation issue I had with the sweet stout. Though now I wonder if the stout will turn out alright.

Every yeast is different so there is no reason your stout won't turn out so don't fret. Glad to see you got a blow off hooked up, from the looks of the first picture Painting the ceiling was definitly in your future:cross:

Alright since the craziness began , things have calmed down quite a bit.

I put the irish red in my sink, connected a blow off tube to a bowl with water, and stuck a frozen water bottle in the water around the carboy. It now seems to be fermenting at about 68 degrees.

My question is what's a good average delay for bubbles out of the airlock? Mine has slowed to approximately 1 bubble every 30 to 40 seconds. I'm not necessarily worrying I'm just curious what's normal after 2 days.

The bubble rate will continue to slow through 3 to 4 days and then be minutes apart. I leave mine in primary for 3 weeks before cold crashing and then legging.

My question is what's a good average delay for bubbles out of the airlock? Mine has slowed to approximately 1 bubble every 30 to 40 seconds. I'm not necessarily worrying I'm just curious what's normal after 2 days.

Likely your fermentaion is just about over and therefore airlock activity has slowed...in the future start cooler and your fermentation will not be as ferocious.

BrewHobby1 said:
The bubble rate will continue to slow through 3 to 4 days and then be minutes apart. I leave mine in primary for 3 weeks before cold crashing and then legging.

Quit looking at bubbles, while it will give you an idea about what's going on it in no way determines anything really, it's just a vent!

After 7-10 days take a gravity reading, then take another 2 days later. If they are the same then you have confirmed FG.

duboman said:
Quit looking at bubbles, while it will give you an idea about what's going on it in no way determines anything really, it's just a vent!

After 7-10 days take a gravity reading, then take another 2 days later. If they are the same then you have confirmed FG.

I agree that looking at bubbles does little for you, but it is an indicator of the speed of fermentation taking place. One half of the sugars will turn to CO2.

When I brew it is an indicator that reassures me that everything is going as it should.

I agree that taking a reading on gravity is the book answer on seeing when your beer is ready for kegging or transfer to secondary.

At the same time, I would say that if the OG of the beer was 1.55 or less then leave it on the yeast cake for three weeks and don't worry about it.
For the following reasons:
1. It won't affect the taste.
2. If it doesn't ferment all the way because of pitching rate or poor temp control, then there is nothing you can do about it.
3. Why risk contamination?

If you are going to put the beer on something in the secondary then I understand. Otherwise, less work is simple and good.

Wait three weeks and then keg or bottle it.

Back