Secondary Aging Temp for RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithww

Reaction score
I have plans to do a Russian Imperial Stout as my 3rd all grain beer and plan on giving it three weeks in the primary in a swamp cooler, then letting it spend 6 months in a the secondary. Room temp at the start of the 6 months should be mid 70s and then getting cooler as it turns to winter. How important is temperature control for the bulk aging of a big beer as long as it is stable?

TIA

Maybe someone with more knowledge can give you a better answer, but you were drifting towards the bottom of the page with no replies, so I thought I'd bump it...

I'd say you're absolutely fine with mid 70's and gradually cooler. I'm kinda in the same situation bulk-aging, and mine has gotten into the upper 70's with all the heat we've been having. Being that fermentation is done, I didn't think it should be a problem but maybe someone with a little more expertise can help us out.

I'd also like to hear about this since I'm going to maybe make a RIS.

I plan to ferment around 70-75 for 2-3 weeks. Then I plan on cellering it in a secondary (carboy) over the winter in my folks place in WI. For the first month, it'll be around 68F. From October to May will drift down to 40, then back up to 68 in late May to September.

I'm assuming that the cellering portion in the 40F temperatures won't be an issue since fermentation will have completed. Just not sure though.

I'd also like to hear about this since I'm going to maybe make a RIS.

I plan to ferment around 70-75 for 2-3 weeks. Then I plan on cellering it in a secondary (carboy) over the winter in my folks place in WI. For the first month, it'll be around 68F. From October to May will drift down to 40, then back up to 68 in late May to September.

I'm assuming that the cellering portion in the 40F temperatures won't be an issue since fermentation will have completed. Just not sure though.

I would shoot for lower than 75 if you can. The RIS I have in bottles now was put in secondary last summer and stay in a room without a/c no problems at all.

I would shoot for lower than 75 if you can. The RIS I have in bottles now was put in secondary last summer and stay in a room without a/c no problems at all.

I agree. We'll see what I can do with my ice packs and water bath. Luckily I'm slating this brew for the beginning of September, so with any luck the temps here in MN should be dropping by then.

Good thing about my folks place is that it's out in the woods in WI. Nice dry, dark service room in the basement. They lock up the place for winter and keep it heated to 40F. I figure...out of sight out of mind for 6 months while it ages.

Hey ya'll, I also want to do a RIS but I am in the opposite situation as above. I want to brew it in the spring, let it age over the summer and fall, then drink it in the winter. Summers can get in the 80s and 90s outside wit temperatures getting into the 80s indoors during the day. I live in an apartment so I have no cellar. Would you recommend not aging a RIS during the summer if I dont have better temp control?

Hey ya'll, I also want to do a RIS but I am in the opposite situation as above. I want to brew it in the spring, let it age over the summer and fall, then drink it in the winter. Summers can get in the 80s and 90s outside wit temperatures getting into the 80s indoors during the day. I live in an apartment so I have no cellar. Would you recommend not aging a RIS during the summer if I dont have better temp control?

That is why I did all my high gravity beers last fall so that I could do a little bulk aging in the cool part of the year, getting ready to bottle them up now so they will be ready for Christmas.

Latest posts

Back