Request: Rogue's Monk Madness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humer

Reaction score
This is a limited release by Rogue. Having a hard time finding it in the liquors stores.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I live about an hour and a half from the brewery and will actually be up there this weekend. They have the monk madness pretty much everywhere around here. It sucks not being able to get the beer you want. it was that way with me when I found Fat tire, you couldn't find it in California.

Dan

Humer said:
This is a limited release by Rogue. Having a hard time finding it in the liquors stores.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Won't help you much given that we're far away from each other, but we do sell it in the wine/beer shop that I part-time at.

To be completely honest with you, though, I wouldn't get bent outta shape trying to locate the stuff. It's good...don't get me wrong...but other than a couple of belgian malts, there's nothing that says "Abbey" or "Monk" in this beer (save for the name!) Call me crazy, but when I saw a "Monk Madness" bottle on our shelf, I expected, at the very least, something fermented w/ a Belgian yeast. I mean, 75% of the attraction of Belgian brews, especially Abbeys and Trappists, is the flavor profile from the unique yeast strains.

Yet, Maier chose to ferment this one with ol' Pacman. A great strain, no doubt, but not the right choice, IMHO, for something that is even approaching anything Belgian in style. In fact, I'd say that this brew turned out somewhere in between a brown and an ESB.

In other words, if your desire to find this stuff is generated by your curiosity for Belgian-styled Rogue beer, I wouldn't look too hard to find it. Like I said, it's good beer, but not exactly as unique as I would like it to be.

Just my $0.02. :)

Back