Trader Joes Vintage Ale 2006

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I was in Trader Joes yesterday and saw that they are selling an 8% Vintage Ale 2006. I picked up a couple bottles and figured I would give it a try. Anybody know anything about this stuff? I will report my findings tomorrow.

Right now I am enjoying a SN Celebration Ale. Mighty fine, mighty fine!

Go on, open it up, you know you want to!

...I opened a bottle of my "ye olde ripper" last night. 51 weeks early! My tummy is a little active this morning... Tasted mighty good though and should be a nice drop by next december :D (11% when I bottled it :drunk:)

11% is easy when you put 7 kilos of DME into 23 litres :)

going for the strong stout next. aiming for the magic 12% this time! Have started stock piling the bags of dark DME. ...have not done a mash yet but thinking about it after reading this forum!

it is hard to age a beer but I find that if you make enough then some will filter through to maturity - bit like turtle eggs!

Don't have a name for my "brewery" yet, may go with Turtle Brewery :)

BP, please leat us know the results off the TJ's brew. I saw it the last time I was in there, but didn't pick any up. I'll pick up one or two if it's any good.

So I picked up a bottle today. When I get around to drinking it, I'll post some comments.

i was able to taste some of that TJ's beer this Saturday. i'm nt going to pretend to be an expert critic so i'll just say "I liked it" :)

Thanks for the warning. If it was just about anything other than a big Belgian I'd be tempted. Not that I wouldn't try it if someone else was buying.:p

My wife picked on up too, we just sampled it and poured about half of it down the drain... Not that there's anything wrong with it, if you like that style of beer you'll probably like it. We just don't seem to like any belgian style ale's and this one had that characteristic belgian flavor that doesn't mesh with our palates...

On the plus side it was pretty cheap and came in a cool bottle...

I have my bottle cooling and will open it in a little while. I am not a big belgium fan. They are only a bit above hefe in my book. So, we shall see.

I picked some up over the weekend and have it chilling in the fridge. I might have some tonight; I might wait until my brew session tomorrow. I haven't decided yet.

Anybody else try theirs?

I had one last night and enjoyed it. I am not the biggest Belgium fan, but this was good. It is strong and full, with some nice roast and slight sour tones that work well with both the alcohol and the earthy esters from the yeast. It is very spitzy with a big and lasting head. I was pleased.

This ale was absolutely horrible...and I really like Belgians. Perhaps my bottle was bad...but it tasted like...

Liquid Liverwurst. :cross: I like liverwurst...on warm bread with some sauerkraut...but not as a beer flavor.

Did anyone else get this taste? Perhaps I discovered a Belgian style which doesn't work for me. I will be bringing the other bottle I purchased back to TJ's. As I recall, the 2005 was ok.

Cheers.

BrewStef

BrewStef said:
This ale was absolutely horrible...and I really like Belgians. Perhaps my bottle was bad...but it tasted like...

Liquid Liverwurst. :cross: I like liverwurst...on warm bread with some sauerkraut...but not as a beer flavor.

Did anyone else get this taste? Perhaps I discovered a Belgian style which doesn't work for me. I will be bringing the other bottle I purchased back to TJ's. As I recall, the 2005 was ok.

Cheers.

BrewStef

That sucks. Mine did not taste of the sour old underwear you seem to be discribing, but you know those Belgian beers. I mostly don't care too much for them, but I enjoyed my TJ brew.

debtman7 said:
My wife picked on up too, we just sampled it and poured about half of it down the drain...

Well hey if you've any left send it on over, i'll take that off your hands! :D

BrewStef said:
This ale was absolutely horrible...

That goes for you too!! :D

BrewStef said:
I like liverwurst...on warm bread with some sauerkraut...

you are making me hungry as a, well, something that is extremely hungry for polski chow!

Back