Recipe Software & Calculators - Accurate or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
I've never used brewing software consistently. I've used Beertools trial amongst others. I recently discovered hopville.com which I found to be hugely beneficial, however I often wonder how acurate certain aspects of these thing are. Granted it's free to use so I'm in no real position to complain too much, but for example a recipe I put through hopeville for an IPA came out at 55IBU's. I put the same thing through a bitterness calculator on tastybrew.com and it came out at over 70IBU's! These things are important and you always want better control over your beer. I'll be moving in to all grain soon, perhaps then I'll actually purchase a membership to promash or beertools

Did you adjust the AA% of the hops? Most programs are pretty accurate. I use BeerTools Pro as my main program and have found no issues with it.

Yeah I adjusted all my AA% of the hops on both, same times, same size batch and OG, it's quite strange

Remember these things are basically fancy spreadsheets. The IBU calculator is based on a formula. There are lots of different formulas. It is quite possible that one gave you 55 IBUs and another 70 IBUs. Neither is 'wrong', as estimating it depends on dozens of factors. Maybe you get that beer measured at a lab and it's 80 IBUs for example (OK, at this point the formulae are wrong). You just have to go by taste and use the calculator as a guideline. Does 55 calculated IBUs taste too bitter? Scale it back next time, or try a different formula. Once you've picked a formula that works for your tastes, stick with it.

FWIW I use the Tinseth formula, I find it fairly accurate.

There are also several different formulas for estimating IBUs (e.g. Rager, Tinseth, Garetz). Each one will give you a different value. Check the software settings.

Yeah you're right Mysterio, allot of factors involved really. 55 to me is perfect, in fact 70+ is fine, I'm a big IPA fan, it's just I'm brewing a Bells Two Hearted Clone, and 55 is sort of spot on for this beer. As you said, when I brew it I'll find out

Disregard my last post, hopville actually gives you a choice. Also, I needed to adjust my Avg liters for 60minutes. Sorry guys, my mistake

Back