Growing Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidebung

Reaction score
My wife is a very good gardner and since I am now making my own beer she wants to grow some hops for me. We live in the Chicago area (zone 5 for growing if that means anything to anyone). Does anyone have any thoughts about this? And what kind of hops? How to get started?

I know cascade hops grow well there. If you go to the main page there is a forum just for hop growing. In that forum there is a thread for Chicago hop growers hope that helps .

Your climate is perfect for growing hops. As far as what types of hops depends on the beer styles you prefer. There are 2 basic catagories: bittering hops and aromatic hops. there is some cross over of bittering and aromatic qualities in all hops, some more than others. A safe bet is Cascade hops for aroma and Nugget or Magnum for bittering (these are high yielding hop varieties). Most hop varieties will do well where you are at. Some varieties yield much more than others so it comes down to preference and available space.

+1 to cascade. Every grower should have one! They do well pretty much everywhere and seem to be pretty hands off.

Seems that Mt. Hood does well in the midwest as well. Most of the noble varieties are kind of low-yielding. They are susceptible to disease and the bugs like them as well. But, if your wife has a green thumb then this shouldn't be a problem.

+1 to cascade. Every grower should have one! They do well pretty much everywhere and seem to be pretty hands off.

Seems that Mt. Hood does well in the midwest as well. Most of the noble varieties are kind of low-yielding. They are susceptible to disease and the bugs like them as well. But, if your wife has a green thumb then this shouldn't be a problem.

Right on. Chinook's going bonkers, and Hallerauers got a single feeble shoot. I'm prayin' for the little bugger, though!!!:D

Right on. Chinook's going bonkers, and Hallerauers got a single feeble shoot. I'm prayin' for the little bugger, though!!!:D

My Hallertau now has 5 shoots, but they are all small. The Williamette on the other hand only has one, but its really taking off!

I think next year I'm gonna add a Cascade as well, seems like something I should have.

I say go with the Cascade and see how well it does, then add more.

My Hallertau now has 5 shoots, but they are all small. The Williamette on the other hand only has one, but its really taking off!

I think next year I'm gonna add a Cascade as well, seems like something I should have.

I say go with the Cascade and see how well it does, then add more.

Did you ever get your frame done using the parts from the former carport?

Back