Landlord Clone---I'm not so smart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
So, I'm getting into my first all-grain recipes, and I wanted to clone Timothy Taylor's Landlord, an all-time favorite. I found the special, limited edition yeast (Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale) , but since the Northern Brewer recipe kit that I wanted to use was out of season, I got the inventory from the site and attempted to duplicate it.

Here's where the not-so-smart part comes in. The recipe called for Extra Dark Crystal malt. I thought that just meant 120L crystal malt.

It's:

6lb Golden Promise
.25 Extra Dark Crystal malt

I bought the grain bill from Brewmaster's Warehouse (great service), so it's all mixed together and there is no way of separating it out.

But, I wanted to scale up the recipe anyway, so I bought more pale malt (LHBS was out of Golden Promise), and uh, more 120L crystal malt.

Now that I realize my mistake, I'll go buy some extra dark crystal. My question is, should I add it in proportion to the extra grain when I scale the recipe? Or more of it than is called for by scale?

If anyone is still reading this, and can make any sense of it, please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

CB

I'm not sure I understand your problem.

Are you saying you had no Simpson's Extra Dark and subbed in 120L instead? So that you now have 12 lbs Golden Promise and .5 lbs 120L? And now you want to add in a bit of the Simpson's to try and make it up?

Have I got that right?

If so, what is your brew length? 10 gallons?

Bob

I'm not sure I understand your problem.

Are you saying you had no Simpson's Extra Dark and subbed in 120L instead? So that you now have 12 lbs Golden Promise and .5 lbs 120L? And now you want to add in a bit of the Simpson's to try and make it up?

Have I got that right?

If so, what is your brew length? 10 gallons?

Bob

Sorry. So, I mistakenly subbed in .25lb of 120L for .25 of extra dark in the original grain bill, which was for a 5 gallon batch.

Now, I am scaling the batch up to 7 gallons. My question is, first of all, how badly will that .25 of 120L mess things up, if at all.

But as I scale the batch up, should I use just as much extra dark as would be called for in scaling up the recipe? Or slightly more to compensate for the .25lb that I originally missed? Again, there is no way to separate out the .25lb of 120L.

Oh, okay. Let me see if I can think my way through this. There'll be twists and turns and cul-de-sacs. Be forewarned. ;)

The difference between 120L Crystal and Simpson's Extra Dark isn't all that great. It's 120L vs. 160L. The flavor differences are discernible when tasted side by side, but we're not talking a huge amount in this grist.

If you multiply the original amount by 1.4, you arrive at the appropriate increase of the original amount. Thus, 1.4 x 4 (ounces) = 5.6 oz. Still not a lot of grain. I think if you round up and add 2-3 oz of Simpson's to the 7-gallon batch you'll get pretty dashed close to what you wanted in the first place. That's what I'd do.

Of course, you could just add 4 oz of the Simpson's and see what you get.

Decisions, decisions.

Good luck!

Bob

P.S. Don't forget to pitch the right amount of yeast!

Oh, okay. Let me see if I can think my way through this. There'll be twists and turns and cul-de-sacs. Be forewarned. ;)

The difference between 120L Crystal and Simpson's Extra Dark isn't all that great. It's 120L vs. 160L. The flavor differences are discernible when tasted side by side, but we're not talking a huge amount in this grist.

If you multiply the original amount by 1.4, you arrive at the appropriate increase of the original amount. Thus, 1.4 x 4 (ounces) = 5.6 oz. Still not a lot of grain. I think if you round up and add 2-3 oz of Simpson's to the 7-gallon batch you'll get pretty dashed close to what you wanted in the first place. That's what I'd do.

Of course, you could just add 4 oz of the Simpson's and see what you get.

Decisions, decisions.

Good luck!

Bob

P.S. Don't forget to pitch the right amount of yeast!

Thanks, Bob. I think, looking back on my question posts, that you have answered a lot of them. I always try to hit the unanswered threads here to return the karmic thread.

And, yes, per your advice on an earlier thread, I always use the Mr. Malty calculator and make starters.

Back