Braided hose in a rectangular mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SloppyGriffin

Reaction score
I currently have all the equipment that you would use in your average 10 gallon cylindrical mashtun, this includes a braided hose as the filter. My question is, would it be fine if i used a cylindrical cooler setup for a rectangular cooler?

I don't see why not. There wouldn't be any benefit, but it wouldn't hurt anything either. Might make it a little harder to stir. I like having a strait piece that runs down to middle so I can avoid it while stirring.

I use everything off my 10gal round cooler in my rectangular Coleman xtreme cooler; no issues at all. I just have a longer nipple for the colemam, and switch the valve and ss mesh back and forth depending on my grist weight and batch volume. I do prop the opposite end of the rectangular cooler up 1/2" just to make sure the wort is getting to the drain end.

I've got a $10 mash tun - rectangular cooler I already had and stainless braid. No valve, just tubing and a plastic hose clamp to control flow. It works and I can't justify spending anymore when I'm going to move to a keg mash tun soon.

Back