Turbid mashing in Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebas83

Reaction score
Reposting here as I didn't hear back in the brewing software forum.

Looking to see if anyone has done this? If so, any success/failure?

Brad at beersmith has mentioned that he wants to update to accommodate a mash schedule like this but there hasn't been any follow-up... That I've seen.

Can anyone help?

This will take some creative recipe design on your part. I did this for a traditional white ale, using beer Smith, I made but I'm not sure how in retrospect.

Good luck.
Might I suggest you try the old method of pen to paper and calculator in hand?

Paper & pen indeed! My turbid mash schedule is a mess of crossed out and rewritten instructions... I was hoping I could transcribe it into beersmith to handle scaling and different/additional equipment.

Figured the old way was the only way... But had my fingers crossed for some crazies who've hacked beersmith ;)

subscribed

I'm been working on the same thing - though it strikes me as funny that we are using a computer to re-create an archaic? process

kinda like a calculation for: X number rocks, of X mass heated to X temp to boil an authentic Stien beer:)

Not sure if this will help, but I converted and scaled down the Cantillon brew schedule here:
http://funkfactorybrewing.blogspot.com/2011/12/cantillon-turbid-mash.html

Its to 10 gallons, so halve that if you are doing 5. Its more of a guideline than anything. Hardest part about turbid mash is the dough in. So much grain, so little water. At a commercial scale we had to raise the initial dough in water volume just to get the paddles to turn. (then lowered the volume of water added at the next step to compensate)

That's awesome! Might try that for batch 2 to blend with my style.

Question: why split the boil in 2?

That's awesome! Might try that for batch 2 to blend with my style.

Question: why split the boil in 2?

That is just how Cantillon does it, and I suspect it is because they don't have a single tank to fit all the wort in pre-boil. When we did this, we scaled the pre-boil volume to the boil kettle and then worked backwards.

Back