Productive Black Friday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
I had a pretty busy morning so far. My youngest decided at 4 AM that he was going to wake the whole house up with a little screaming, and after about 45 min of rocking and pacing around holding him I finally got him back to sleep. Problem was I was wide awake...

Well, I had planned on my inaugral bottling of my first brew for later today, but since I was up I went ahead and began the bottling process. Popping the carboy cap off and racking the ale to the bottling bucket went smoothly. I had added the priming corn sugar to the bucket prior, after boiling it in 2 cups of water for the specified 5 minutes. I took my time, and went by all the directions, except for taking a FG check AFTER I had added the priming sugar, so I don't know if that number is even relevant? I had measured 1.011 when I racked to the secondary. the number I got after the priming sugar was in was 1.013. Bottling with the wand went fine, and I even got the bottles labeled!

Since I had everything out, and a batch of sanitizer made, I went ahead and popped the stopper out of the Apfelwein carboy and took a sample. It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow since I started it, and it's down to 0.099. There's still a fine ring of bubbles around the top of it, and it's really clear, but it's staying in the carboy another week. I think it'll only help it. The sample I drew was pretty full in the wine thief, so I finally got to take a nice taste of this stuff. I like it! I'm looking forward to having it on the rocks in time. It is very dry, but it definitely has apple overtones, and I got a nice little hint of sweetness at the very beginning of a sip, like right on the tip of my tongue, but it finishes dry, with no residual sweetness. I can definitely see how this would be a hit with the ladies when poured with a splash of Sprite.

Anyways, I hope everyone had a great day yesterday, and a great weekend to come,
Matt

I always measure my FG after adding the bottling sugar. You can calculate the gravity points your added sugar has and subtract it from your measured value to get your true FG.

GT

Finished label:
P1020707.JPG

And on the bottles:
P1020706.JPG

Back